RC signal to trigger sounds on DFplayerMini using SparkFun ProMicro

Hi everyone,

I have been attempting to understand and alter this code to fit my hardware for a bit now and I am at a roadblock. I cannot get the RC controller to trigger any sounds from the DFminiplayer. I am able to get sounds to play when I ground the IO_2 or IO_1 so at least the miniplayer is operating correctly.

My issue is getting the RC signal from the controller to the promicro , and then out. I did read that altserial needed some manipulating (Using AltSoftSerial with Pro Micro / Leonardo Mini Micro Clones w/ATmega32U4 MU) but even with that change I am still unable to get the sounds to trigger.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

See code below

/*MSE Sound sketch
13th March 2021
MrBaddeley printed droids - www.patreon.com/mrbaddeley www.facebook.com/groups/mrbaddeley
This sketch is to control the sound on the full scale MSE-6 Mouse Droid
This code is using a Nano, AltSoftserial on pins 8 and 9, and a DF Player. 
AltSoftSerial has sorted a few issues with interupts out for me on the code, allowing me to accurately read all the inputs. 
I'm using channel 5 linked to the VRA on the Flysky FS-I6X as the volume control on pin 3
Pins 4 through to 7 are linked to SWA, SWB, SWC and SWD on the Flysky (sw7-A sw8-B sw9-C sw10-D), importantly sw9 is the multi position switch.
The code plays the first MP3 when you change SWA, the second on SWB and the third on SWD. 
SWC (the multi position switch) shift mode, at the top, it kills the volume, at the middle it ENABLES the other switches, at the bottom it plays the fourth MP3 file on the sdcard (I used the long loop for this). 
This means at the bottom position it just plays the long loop, push it up to kill the sound and in the middle to use the switches. 
I've also used VRA (on channel 5) for volume control. 
Libraries used:
https://github.com/DFRobot/DFRobotDFPlayerMini
https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/altsoftserial/
Not perfect, but should get people started. 
*/
#include "Arduino.h" //   libraries for DFplayer and SerialSoftware//
#include <AltSoftSerial.h> //load the AltSoftSerial library
#include "DFRobotDFPlayerMini.h"

AltSoftSerial altSerial;
DFRobotDFPlayerMini myDFPlayer;
void printDetail(uint8_t type, int value);

int sw7; // to store data from the RC switchs (channels 7-10 & 5 for the volume). 
int sw8;
int sw9;
int sw10;
int readvol5;
int DFvol;

int sw10pin = 7; // set the Arduino pins for reading the RC
int sw9pin = 6;
int sw8pin = 5;
int sw7pin = 8;
int readvol5pin = 3;

int soundstate7 =1; //set variables for the states of the sound
int prevsoundstate7 =1;
int soundstate8 =1; 
int prevsoundstate8 =1;
int soundstate10 =1; 
int prevsoundstate10 =1;
int soundstate9;
int prevsoundstate9;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

altSerial.begin(9600);
  Serial.begin(115200); // Starts HW serial  @ 115200, used for Serial monitor to diagnose

Serial.println();
  Serial.println(F("DFRobot DFPlayer Mini Demo"));
  Serial.println(F("Initializing DFPlayer ... (May take 3~5 seconds)")); // prints some starting messages. 

if (!myDFPlayer.begin(altSerial)) {  //Use softwareSerial to communicate with mp3 and checks link.
    Serial.println(F("Unable to begin:"));
    Serial.println(F("1.Please recheck the connection!"));
    Serial.println(F("2.Please insert the SD card!"));
    while(true){
      delay(0); // Code to compatible with ESP8266 watch dog.
    }
  }
  Serial.println(F("DFPlayer Mini online."));

myDFPlayer.volume(30);  //Set volume value. From 0 to 30
  myDFPlayer.play(1);  //Play the first mp3 plays the first MP3 to indicate it's all working. 

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

sw7 = pulseIn (sw7pin, HIGH); //These read the status of the 5 switches
sw8 = pulseIn (sw8pin, HIGH);
sw9 = pulseIn (sw9pin,HIGH);
sw10 = pulseIn (sw10pin,HIGH);
readvol5 = pulseIn (readvol5pin,HIGH);

Serial.println (soundstate9);

//This first section checks the 3 position switch. if it's at the top (state 0) 
//no sound will be played, middle position, the other three switches trigger three different sounds, at the bottom it plays the long loop. 

soundstate9 = 0;

if (sw9 > 1300) {
soundstate9 = 1;  
}

if (sw9 > 1800) {
  soundstate9 = 2;
}

Serial.print (sw7); //diagnostic serial prints
Serial.print (" ");
Serial.print (sw8);
Serial.print (" ");
Serial.print (sw9);
Serial.print (" ");
Serial.print (sw10);
Serial.print (" ");
Serial.print (readvol5);
Serial.print (" ");
Serial.println (soundstate9);

if (soundstate9 == 2) { //This triggers the long loop. 

if (soundstate9 != prevsoundstate9){
    prevsoundstate9 = soundstate9;
    myDFPlayer.play(4);  //Play the long loop
}
}

if (soundstate9==0){ //THis kills the volume
  readvol5=1000;

}

if (soundstate9==1){ //This enables the other switch sounds.
  if (soundstate9 != prevsoundstate9){
    myDFPlayer.pause();
}
}

if (sw7< 1500 && soundstate9==1){    //If switch 7 changes state, play the first sound
    soundstate7=1;
  }
   if (sw7> 1500 && soundstate9==1){
    soundstate7=2;
  }
  if (soundstate7 != prevsoundstate7){
    prevsoundstate7 = soundstate7;
    myDFPlayer.pause();
    myDFPlayer.play(1);  //Play the first mp3
  }

if (sw8< 1500 && soundstate9==1){   //if switch 8 changes state, play the second sound
    soundstate8=1;
  }
   if (sw8> 1500 && soundstate9==1){
    soundstate8=2;
  }
  if (soundstate8 != prevsoundstate8){
    prevsoundstate8 = soundstate8;
    myDFPlayer.pause();
    myDFPlayer.play(2);  //Play the first mp3
  }

if (sw10< 1500 && soundstate9==1){ //if switch 10 changes state, play the third sound
    soundstate10=1;
  }
   if (sw10> 1500 && soundstate9==1){
    soundstate10=2;
  }
  if (soundstate10 != prevsoundstate10){
    prevsoundstate10 = soundstate10;
    myDFPlayer.pause();
    myDFPlayer.play(3);  //Play the first mp3
  }

DFvol = map(readvol5,950,2050,0,30); //This maps the volume from channel 5

myDFPlayer.volume(DFvol);  //Set volume value from the channel 5 (potentimeter)

}

The easier you make it to read and copy your code the more likely it is that you will get help

Please follow the advice given in the link below when posting code , use code tags and post the code here

If you get errors when compiling please copy them from the IDE using the "Copy error messages" button and paste the clipboard here in code tags

Does it compile and run? Do your Serial prints show that you are reading the expected values on all channels?

Steve

It does compile and upload just fine, I did not check Serial prints as I didn't even think to do that. (Still learning and pretty new to coding). I did at least check that I am getting a change in voltage from the RC receiver when triggering the switches

Thank you for that link! I just edited first post to align with the guidelines

Tried serial monitor and I am not getting anything to show in the window at either 9600 baud or 115200.

Promicro is connected to PC from USB and is powered on and correct COM port selected.

According to your code Serial is set to 115200. If you're not getting ANY messages at all then try a different USB cable or a different USB connector on the PC (and reselect the COM port). It's almost impossible to debug anything without a working Serial connection.

Steve

just tried different cable, different ports and ensuring correct COM port is selected. Monitor set to 115200 but still blank

alright while trouble shooting serial monitor I threw this code on to ProMicro and was able to get something in the monitor.

Now to figure out why with the original code nothing is populating. My hunch is it has something to do with altsoftserial

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  while(!Serial) { delay(100); }
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Hello!");
  delay(1000);
}

still working my way though this one. I am wondering if I can use the tx and rx pins from the pro micro directly

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.