Re: Can anyone help me to solve a problem on unloading to UNO

Arduino is bricked, they are fickle rubbish - press upload accidently during an upload (easily done) destroys the board be it micro, uno or leo! I've had them all. using an isp or placing a resistor between + & reset pin, replacing the chip, reinstalling ide; nothing will bring them back even if loop back tests work. I'd suggest bin it & use a cheap fake as they work just as well (usually) and break just as easily but only cost you a few bucks.

Or try the pi zero!

press upload accidently during an upload (easily done) destroys the board

I am unable to duplicate this behavior… If you have some boards that have been “destroyed” in this way, I wouldn’t mind getting some for debugging purposes. Contact me via pm if you’re willing…

One possible explanation is the most recent FTDI driver hack. The new version of the FTDI driver, which windows will install for you automatically, attempts to detect “counterfeit” FTDI chips, and if they are detected, will transmit an annoying warning string instead of actual data (corrupting any communications.)

Now, an actual Arduino Uno does not have an FTDI chip on it, and MOST of the clones no longer use FTDI chips, either. But Amazon has proven to be a particularly “questionable” Arduino supplier (especially when dealing with vendors other than Amazon themselves that use Amazon as a storefront.) Careful examination (or a photo) of the board could eliminate this as a possibility, but it IS one reason that an otherwise working Arduino (clone) might suddenly stop working…

@manicmarauder, do not cross-post. Other post removed.

@manicmarauder, do not hijack. Thread split.

One possible explanation is the most recent FTDI driver hack. The new version of the FTDI driver, which windows will install for you automatically, attempts to detect "counterfeit" FTDI chips, and if they are detected, will transmit an annoying warning string instead of actual data (corrupting any communications.)

I thought FTDI was supposed to have stopped distributing that driver..?? Maybe Windows update isn't up-to-date? hehe

The FTDI driver is up to 2.12.14. I think 2.12.0 was the counterfeit stopping code. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

codlink: I thought FTDI was supposed to have stopped distributing that driver..?? Maybe Windows update isn't up-to-date? hehe

They supposedly stopped distributing the driver that bricked the chips by changing the USB ID. There was another recent post where a user revealed that during the loop back test the Windows driver introduced extra text in the serial stream. The serial monitor displayed "NON GENUINE DEVICE FOUND!" That would mess up a program upload/verification. So, instead of bricking the counterfeit chips, they are making them annoying to use. It is still effectively counterfeit-stopping code, just another method. If I had Windows and a counterfeit FTDI, I would probably downgrade the driver to a version prior to FTDI-gate, while I was waiting for my order of a genuine FTDI to arrive.

Thank you all for the unexpected positive response. The wife is nagging me to stop wasting money on parts with a 80% failure rate and a MTBF of about 2 days (for me). As i'm not ready to give up totally on coded projects just yet I'll send westfw a recent rev 3 genuine uno and a compatible uno, both exhibiting the same problem (stays in unloading... condition). A brand new Leonardo & 2 micros, all definitely genuine have been binned & they exhibited the same condition due to upload being pressed during another upload. I only use one genuine windows 7 pc with latest updates. Device manager still identifying and naming boards correctly.