Re: Lifting up to 100 pounds with motor

Hello, I will like to know if there is a way to lift a person with arduino. If there is which arduino & which motor should I use? Would I need a battery? What RPM will I need to reach?

Thanks, David

A good shock to the soles of the feet will get a person right off the ground!

Are you using a block & tackle? How fast do you want to move? Too much info is missing.

Three posts of the same question?

Davmm:
I will like to know if there is a way to lift a person with arduino.

Yes. The Arduino can trigger a relay (or Solid State Relay, or Power MOSFET) to turn a motor on.

Davmm:
If there is which arduino & which motor should I use?

Any Arduino will work. You need a motor and gear combination that will provide sufficient torque to lift the weight.

Davmm:
Would I need a battery?

You will need some source of power, either a very substantial battery or AC mains.

Davmm:
What RPM will I need to reach?

That will depend on how fast you want to raise the person and the circumference of your winch. A larger diameter winch will lift faster at a given RPM but will require more torque.

If you want any specific recommendations you will need to say how heavy the person is (including clothes, harness, and rope/cable), how fast you want to lift, and how high you want to lift.

Davmm:
Hello,
I will like to know if there is a way to lift a person with arduino. If there is which arduino & which motor should I use? Would I need a battery? What RPM will I need to reach?

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

You should probably create a new post, and probably in a different forum section. As a reply in this thread, it is way off-topic. First, please have a look at this for some tips. Take special note that a post should not be made in more than one section of the forum.

I’m sure that what you want to do is possible, but your inquiry is too broad to say much more so I might either narrow it down, or explain more about what exactly it is you are trying to do. For example, probably pretty much any RPM will work, depending on how much of a hurry you are in and what gear reduction is available.

Welcome to the forum.

Three posts of the same question?

...and counting.

Whew. I think I got them all. There's ten minutes of my life I will never get back.

Davmm, do not cross-post.

Davmm: Hello, I will like to know if there is a way to lift a person with arduino. If there is which arduino & which motor should I use? Would I need a battery? What RPM will I need to reach?

Thanks, David

This is basically a question in mechanics - you need to understand some basic relationships first:

Power = torque x angular velocity = force x linear velocity

Force = torque / radius

Linear velocity = angular velocity x radius

Some way to convert rotation to linear movement is needed and this affects what torque is needed.

The RPM depends on how fast you want to lift.

Hint: use SI units for mechanics calculations, much harder to make mistakes.

Wow, eight posts of the same question. almost a record.

I will like to know if there is a way to lift a person with arduino. If there is which arduino & which motor should I use? Would I need a battery? What RPM will I need to reach?

You could use some extra hardware with a hoist like below to have an arduino control the hoist.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=electric+hoist

100 lbs? thats a small human ...........

I personally wouldnt want to risk myself or anyone i know by lifting them with an arduino, Bear in mind that there can be some strange signals come from the io pins on startup, that can adversly affect your setup.

Eitherway, maybe if you stated what you were planning to do in a bit more detail then people could help you propery