Re: new project question/advice request

Hi I am brand new to arduino and have a specific project that I need to build. I need to build a basic device that will ring a buzzer once no matter how many times it is triggered in a set time. Its for a door alarm and I don't want it going off all the time. Has anyone already done a project like this?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

benn1973, it may be better for you to start a new thread of your own, rather than joint into an established one.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

Thanks.. Tom... :)

Its for a door alarm and I don't want it going off all the time.

means, you want to have the buzzer ON all time, no matter if someone shut the door immediately after the alarm was initiated?

rpt007: Its for a door alarm and I don't want it going off all the time.

means, you want to have the buzzer ON all time, no matter if someone shut the door immediately after the alarm was initiated?

That's just a strange part of the English language, an alarm "goes off" when it actually goes on.

@aarg:

Let's see what the original PO tells us and what kind of English he will use then ;-)

aarg: That's just a strange part of the English language, an alarm "goes off" when it actually goes on.

Same as a bomb or gun going off.

...R

I am no native speaker and sometimes I fall into the trap that English language is not always logical. Lights go ON and OFF, you power your devices ON or OFF, but a buzzer goes OFF when it gets loud - just for my information: when you switch the power OFF of a buzzer, what is the right expression then - ON ?

rpt007: when you switch the power OFF of a buzzer, what is the right expression then - ON ?

It stops?

Please. We enjoy illogical English.

...R

monostable multivibrator

benn1973: Hi I am brand new to arduino and have a specific project that I need to build. I need to build a basic device that will ring a buzzer once no matter how many times it is triggered in a set time. Its for a door alarm and I don't want it going off all the time. Has anyone already done a project like this?

All you need to do is use millis() to manage the time between first reacting to a button press and the next reaction. Have a look at how the interval between button presses is done in Several Things at a Time. You just need a longer interval.

...R

dlloyd: monostable multivibrator

endoplasmic reticulum

look for 'non-retriggerable one-shot' circuit You can do that with a 555 or other single chip for about $1

If you are new here and have a arduino on your hands I would suggest you to run the basic examples using leds/resistors, buttons..etc while you pass the 5~10 examples you will have an idea how to do that and it's actually really simple.

D.60

lastchancename:
look for ‘non-retriggerable one-shot’ circuit
You can do that with a 555 or other single chip for about $1

All such hardware circuits have a relatively short time to re-arm. If you want a really long time to pass before it can re-trigger, you have to use some other solution.

A hardware circuit (if suitable) may be a much cheaper way to implement something but in most cases using an Arduino will be much simpler. And definitely more versatile.

...R