Re: ProMini328/AD8232 output

Hello all,
Given the previous discussions, or rather Paul's attitude about newbies, I'm hesitant to ask my question, but will courage up nevertheless.
I have two Rpi's, a zero, and a 3B+, each with AD8232 / Arduino Pro 3.3V 8MHz / FTDI to /dev/ttyUSB0 on both.
The zero has Arduino version 1.8.9, the 3B+ has v. 2:1.0.5
The zero has both a Monitor and Plotter views available in the sketch window.
The 3B+ only has the Monitor.
The zero has both the AD8232 sketch and the Processing sketch located in the /home/pi directory
the 3B+ has the sketches in separate directories. (When trying to run them, the system says each is required to run from it's own directory.
My first question is, how can the 3B+ show the Plotter program?
Secondly, can the Plotter output be captured in a file for analysis?
Thanks!

Stefanolof:
Given the previous discussions, or rather Paul's attitude about newbies, I'm hesitant to ask my question, but will courage up nevertheless.

PaulS is no longer active on this forum. They haven't posted since July 2019:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=16084

I'd like to think that from your previous interactions with this forum you've found this to be a place that is friendly to "newbies" as long as they respect the forum's rules.

Stefanolof:
the 3B+ has v. 2:1.0.5
The zero has both a Monitor and Plotter views available in the sketch window.
The 3B+ only has the Monitor

It's because you're using the ridiculously outdated version of the Arduino IDE from apt install arduino. I thought you had updated to the modern IDE after our other discussion:

Stefanolof:
My first question is, how can the 3B+ show the Plotter program?

Remove that horrible old IDE version and download the "Linux ARM 32 bits" version of the modern Arduino IDE from the Downloads page:

Stefanolof:
Secondly, can the Plotter output be captured in a file for analysis?

The plotter is just a graphical display of the serial data from the Arduino board. You need to capture the serial data in the file. You can't do the via the plotter. You could run the Arduino IDE's Tools > Serial Monitor instead of the Plotter, then copy and paste the data from the Serial Monitor output window. However, there are better ways to save the data directly to a file. You can find some information about that in these pages:

Thanks for your thorough response. I was fooled by the Arduino 2 in the version name, thinking it was later than 1.8.9, rather than 1.0.5. So I've downloaded v. 1.8.12, but it's been too long since I extracted the last tar file to understand what's next: these files sound too much alike to know which one to execute/run: arduino-linux-setup.sh or arduino, or arduino-builder, or install.sh. Which one is primary for building the app? Because there is an uninstall.sh file, it might be the install.sh, but please confirm. Many thanks for your help!

You should run install.sh.

arduino-linux-setup.sh is optional. It runs some commands that you might otherwise need to run manually. If you do run it, you need to pass your username as an argument to the script:

./arduino-linux-setup.sh $USER

If you only follow the instructions on the Linux Getting Started page, I think you'll be fine:

More information on arduino-linux-setup.sh here:

Thanks for clarification. But, teven after all that good info, here are still a couple of things:
I run install.sh--no errors. But when I open Arduino.ide, it still says v.2:1.0.5 in the window header, so I must not have deleted all of the files in the app.directories.
I even ran the uninstall.sh from the 1.8.12 version I just downloaded, but the old one still shows up! And when I try to edit the ./arduino/preferences.txt, I get "./arduino no such directory" So something is still not right.
Could there be left overs in the /usr/bin, /usr/share directories? But if there are, why didn't the latest download overwrite those? Or overwrite any other previous Arduino left overs on my system?
Sorry for all of this confusion...

I scanned adding arduino-linux-setup.sh script by artynet · Pull Request #6053 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub.... does that pertain to any of "my problem?"

Stefanolof:
I run install.sh–no errors. But when I open Arduino.ide, it still says v.2:1.0.5 in the window header, so I must not have deleted all of the files in the app.directories.

Try running the command:

sudo apt remove arduino

Stefanolof:
I even ran the uninstall.sh from the 1.8.12 version I just downloaded, but the old one still shows up!

I don’t think the uninstall.sh script that comes with the Arduino IDE works to uninstall the version installed via the APT package manager. You have to use apt remove for that.

Stefanolof:
I scanned adding arduino-linux-setup.sh script by artynet · Pull Request #6053 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub… does that pertain to any of “my problem?”

No, that is purely about arduino-linux-setup.sh.