Re-routing pin - Arduino Wifi Shield

Hi there, i would like to ask would it be okay if i re-routed the Arduino Wifi Shield pin 7 to connect to Arduino pin 8 instead of the standard pin 7 on Arduino. I need the pin 7 for my Arduino GSM Shield as it uses it to auto power on the GSM shield.

Thanks in advance and please advice!

would it be okay if i re-routed the Arduino Wifi Shield pin 7 to connect to Arduino pin 8 instead of the standard pin 7 on Arduino.

I's OK by me. The library you are using may expect to use pin 7, so you may need to modify the library. You'll need to bend the pin so it doesn't engage, and then make the connection to the pin you want to use in some other way.

I need the pin 7 for my Arduino GSM Shield as it uses it to auto power on the GSM shield.

I suspect that it would be easier to repurpose the pin, and fix the library, for the GSM shield.

hi PaulS, if i were to re route my GSM shield pin 7 to another digital pin on the Arduino board, the GSM shield itself won't turn on the processor on board, i have to manually turn on by pressing the "Power" button.

That is why i would rather change the Wifi Shield pin to another pin.

if i were to re route my GSM shield pin 7 to another digital pin on the Arduino board, the GSM shield itself won't turn on the processor on board, i have to manually turn on by pressing the "Power" button.

It seems to me that if you were to look at the mysterious library, all it is doing is defining pin 7 as an output pin and setting it high.

You could simply change the library to do that to a different pin. Or, leave the library alone, and add the pinMode() and digitalWrite() calls to your sketch, to set the other pin the same way the library sets pin 7.

Of course, if you don't modify the library, you won't make pin 7 available for another use...

PaulS,

I don’t have my crystal ball with me today so I don’t know which GSM shield the OP is using, but the usual way of powering them up is a high on the relevant pin for two seconds then back to low again. Repeating the process turns it off again…