Read 1 sensor value then move to next sensor?

So here’s my a quick overview of my project:

I’m constructing a sonde to sample water quality. I have 5 atlas sensors (pH,DO,temp,ORP, and conductivity) connected to an Uno. To my understanding, the Uno only has one serial port, so I can only read one sensor at a time, so I’m using atlas’s 8:1 serial port expander to switch between sensors.

Here’s what I’m trying to accomplish:

I need to be able to take data from all 5 sensors as quickly as possible and transmit those 5 values to a microprocessor (just focusing on getting 5 readings from the Arduino end currently).

Here’s my current code:

This code is mostly the sample code provided on atlas’s website. The original code can be found below.

//This code was written in the Arduino 1.6.9 IDE
//An Arduino UNO was used to test this code.
//This code was written to be easy to understand. Code efficiency was not considered.
//Modify this code as you see fit.
//This code will allow you to control up to 8 Atlas Scientific devices through 1 soft serial RX/TX line.

//To open a channel (marked on the board as P1 to P8) send the number of the channel followed by a colon and the command (if any) that you want to send. End the string with a carriage return.
//1:r<CR>
//2:i<CR>
//3:c<CR>
//4:r<CR>

//To open a channel and not send a command just send the channel number followed by a colon.
//1:<CR>
//3:<CR>

//This code uses the Altsoft softserial library. The library file can be downloaded here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_AltSoftSerial.html
//This softserial library Automatically sets TX as pin 9 and RX as pin 8.

#include <AltSoftSerial.h>          //Include the software serial library  
AltSoftSerial altSerial;            //Name the software serial library altSerial (this cannot be omitted)

byte computer_bytes_received = 0;    //We need to know how many characters bytes have been received
byte sensor_bytes_received = 0;      //We need to know how many characters bytes have been received

int s1 = 7;                         //Arduino pin 5 to control pin S1
int s2 = 6;                         //Arduino pin 6 to control pin S2
int s3 = 5;                         //Arduino pin 7 to control pin S3
int port = 0;                       //what port to open

char computerdata[20];               //A 20 byte character array to hold incoming data from a pc/mac/other
char sensordata[30];                 //A 30 byte character array to hold incoming data from the sensors
char *channel;                       //Char pointer used in string parsing
char *cmd;                           //Char pointer used in string parsing

void setup() {
  pinMode(s1, OUTPUT);              //Set the digital pin as output
  pinMode(s2, OUTPUT);              //Set the digital pin as output
  pinMode(s3, OUTPUT);              //Set the digital pin as output
  Serial.begin(9600);               //Set the hardware serial port to 9600
  altSerial.begin(9600);            //Set the soft serial port to 9600
}

void serialEvent() {              //This interrupt will trigger when the data coming from the serial monitor(pc/mac/other) is received
  computer_bytes_received = Serial.readBytesUntil(13, computerdata, 20); //We read the data sent from the serial monitor(pc/mac/other) until we see a <CR>. We also count how many characters have been received
  computerdata[computer_bytes_received] = 0; //We add a 0 to the spot in the array just after the last character we received.. This will stop us from transmitting incorrect data that may have been left in the buffer
}

void loop() {

if (computer_bytes_received != 0) {             //If computer_bytes_received does not equal zero
    channel = strtok(computerdata, ":");          //Let's parse the string at each colon
    cmd = strtok(NULL, ":");                      //Let's parse the string at each colon
    open_channel();                               //Call the function "open_channel" to open the correct data path

if (cmd != 0) {                               //If a command has been sent
      altSerial.print(cmd);                       //Send the command from the computer to the Atlas Scientific device using the softserial port
      altSerial.print("\r");                      //After we send the command we send a carriage return <CR>
    }
    computer_bytes_received = 0;                  //Reset the var computer_bytes_received to equal 0
  }

open_port1();                                   //Testing port switching in loop
  delay(2000);
  open_port2();
  delay(2000);
  open_port3();
  delay(2000);
  open_port4();
  delay(2000);
  open_port5();
  delay(2000);

if (altSerial.available() > 0) {                 //If data has been transmitted from an Atlas Scientific device
    sensor_bytes_received = altSerial.readBytesUntil(13, sensordata, 30); //we read the data sent from the Atlas Scientific device until we see a <CR>. We also count how many character have been received
    sensordata[sensor_bytes_received] = 0;         //we add a 0 to the spot in the array just after the last character we received. This will stop us from transmitting incorrect data that may have been left in the buffer
    Serial.println(sensordata);                    //let’s transmit the data received from the Atlas Scientific device to the serial monitor
  }
}

void open_channel() {                             //This function controls what UART port is opened.

port = atoi(channel);                           //Convert the ASCII char value of the port to be opened into an int
  port = 2;
  if (port < 1 || port > 8)port = 1;              //If the value of the port is within range (1-8) then open that port. If it’s not in range set it port 1
  port -= 1;                                      //So, this device knows its ports as 0-1 but we have them labeled 1-8 by subtracting one from the port to be opened we correct for this.

digitalWrite(s1, bitRead(port, 0));             //Here we have two commands combined into one.
  digitalWrite(s2, bitRead(port, 1));             //The digitalWrite command sets a pin to 1/0 (high or low)
  digitalWrite(s3, bitRead(port, 2));             //The bitRead command tells us what the bit value is for a specific bit location of a number
  delay(2);                                       //this is needed to make sure the channel switching event has completed
  return;                                         //go back
}

void open_port1() {
  //port 1
  digitalWrite(s1, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s2, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s3, LOW);
}

void open_port2() {
  // port 6: s3=0 s2=0 13=1
  digitalWrite(s1, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(s2, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s3, LOW);
}

void open_port3() {
  // port 3: s3=0 s2=1 s1=0
  digitalWrite(s1, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s2, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(s3, LOW);
}

void open_port4() {
  digitalWrite(s1, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(s2, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(s3, LOW);
}

void open_port5() {
  digitalWrite(s1, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s2, LOW);
  digitalWrite(s3, HIGH);
}

Here’s my thoughts on a solution:

So I realized that the ports/sensors can be switched to using digitalWrite, so I wrote some subroutines (at the bottom of the code) to switch between the different ports/sensors. I tested this with some delays in the loop, which works perfectly. Now what I’m thinking would solve my problem is using some sort of loop to take one reading from the first sensor, then move to the second sensor and take one reading, and so on and so forth, then start over from the first sensor. In consideration of my future goals, I think I would like to store these values in an array to send to a micro processor. Or maybe have to send each individually to the microprocessor?

What I’d like help with:

I’m fairly new to Arduino, and haven’t used Arduino with serial sensors before.

1. Please assess my solution approach for a better/more intelligent way to do this.
  2. I’m having a hard time applying arduinos pseudo code for loops, and which loop structure would work best?
  3. Help with the pseudo structure of loop I’m trying to create.

Thanks for your time!

garrettlapp:

1. Please assess my solution approach for a better/more intelligent way to do this.
  2. I'm having a hard time applying arduinos pseudo code for loops, and which loop structure would work best?
  3. Help with the pseudo structure of loop I'm trying to create.

I think you're asking far too much here. You may get better help if you ask a specific question about a defined problem you are having.
But, as a help, I've looked at your code (and at the original download). It's use of comments (to just repeat what the code already says) will infuriate most programmers who may be able to help on this forum

return;                                         //go back

and you don't need a 'return' at the end of a function, so I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about the rest of the sample you found.

quilkin:
I think you're asking far too much here. You may get better help if you ask a specific question about a defined problem you are having.
But, as a help, I've looked at your code (and at the original download). It's use of comments (to just repeat what the code already says) will infuriate most programmers who may be able to help on this forum

Hey thanks for the advice. Sorry it was my first post and I was being a monkey. I ended up solving the problem on my own. If anyone's curious as to what I did I can post

If anyone's curious as to what I did I can post

Well, of course we are.