Read a eeprom chip xbox

Hi I have some locked out hard drives from some dead xbox’s. Microsoft has a method to lock out hard drives using lba48 bit encryption. They store the hard drive key on a small eeprom chip. How can I install it on the Arduino uno chip and access the key so I can use the hard drive for storage.
(picture below, ignore the wires, that is for xbox’s that work.)

Microsoft has a method to lock out hard drives using lba48 bit encryption.

Why was this method used on your hard drives?

What is the part number of the EEPROM chip?

PaulS:

Microsoft has a method to lock out hard drives using lba48 bit encryption.

Why was this method used on your hard drives?

The drives are always encrypted. If the xbox dies you can't get at the data on the hard drive.

It's a bit of a shit.

It's a bit of a shit.

More than a bit, then.

PaulS:

It’s a bit of a shit.

More than a bit, then.

48 bits of a shit to be precise.

I suppose the most straight forward option would be to identify the type of the chip, extract it from the circuit without damaging it, design a new circuit to power it and enable the Arduino to interface to it, write/find some code to access the EEPROM and read the contents.

If the disk is encrypted then I suppose you also need to know how to decrypt it, which would require knowing the file system format and file data formats and decryption algorithms. For the data to be useful, I suppose you also need some device capable of accessing the encrypted drive and presenting the data in some format that is recognised by whatever you want to use that data. Perhaps you could do that part on a PC and write a de-crypter application that mirrored the content of the encrypted device onto another device that wasn't encrypted.

That sounds like quite a lot of work. Aside from the technical issues, is it legal for you to hack the encrypted drive?

I believe all that kind of thing already exists - you just need the keys to access it.

Chances are the chip is a standard I²C or SPI EEPROM, so there will be libraries already for the Arduino to read it.

Once you know the chip number it should be straight forward.

Reply to all FYI: I am a noobie to microcontrollers.

They encrypted it for a anti-piracy issueThe xbox was made from a proprietary file-system know as "FATX", no computer can understand it. even tho the it is based on the windows 2000 kernal and filesystem. I was just thinking we can just unsolder and unlock the hard drive, if its more work than just seeing the key to unlock it. its might as well as trash. If I have to write a decrypter, I will not do that, because it will violate the DMCA Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It's sad, cause its so old and still protected under that law. If I decrypt it, I would be doing something illegal. Our beloved politicians in 1999 did not know what they made after they passed it. I do not support Piracy, I payed for all my software and digital media (except open source, shareware, and freeware) Yes you are right PeterH. I was just thinking if I can unsolder it and use a bread board with an adapter and read the key, off of my computer.

majenko: It is very hard to read but I found same or similar chips. They have 8 legs, "ICS 24W02J" and "ATMEL 24C02N" mine had "CSI"

It’s a 2048 bit I2C EEPROM.

The data sheet for the Atmel one is here: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc0180.pdf

There is documentation on the playground on how to use I2C EEPROMS with the Arduino: http://playground.arduino.cc/code/I2CEEPROM

Even if you get it connected, and can read data from it, do you know how big the key is, and where it is stored? Do you know what to do with the key after you get it?

to: majenko Awesome thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any luck on your project slyfly_22? I'm interested in your project and had similar questions.

Since it sounds like nobody is actually trying to recover the data from the drive, why can't it just be reformatted and used that way? (On the other hand, I have taken to discarding any IDE hard drives I have in my spares box less than about 100GB or so)