Read DS18B20 by a external device

Hi everyone!.

My name is Ruben and this is the first time in the comunnity... I hope to help you with everything that I know it.

Well, I have a little problem. I have a machine that works with a DS18B20 sensor to read the temperature and manage a motor to turn on or turn off according of the temperature readed.
Ok... My question is, can I read (spy) the signal of this sensor to know the temperature by a external arduino?
I have thought to use a optocoupler or a wirless system... What do you know about it?

Thank's,

Hi.

Is it possible to connect the GND of the Arduino to the GND of the machine ?
Then you can connect the data signal of the 1-Wire to a digital input of a Arduino. You could add a 4k7 resistor in the line before the digital input for extra protection.

Search for: Arduino "1-Wire" sniffer
There are a few. I have never tried one, so I don't know if they work. I can not even find a sketch that does the decoding for a basic Arduino board. Maybe it is harder than I thought.

There are cheap logic analyzers of 10 or 25 dollars that work with the free PulseView/sigrok. I think that PulseView/sigrok has a decoder for 1-Wire.

Can you attach another DS18B20 right next to the existing DS18B20 ? Then you can use the Arduino to read the same temperature (almost the same temperature).

In view of your non-description of the "machine", I guess your simplest solution is to cough up the $3 and have Arduino read its own DS18B20 adjacent to the existing. You may then send the reading to a second Arduino, or your phone, via Bluetooth.

Hi there!

So sorry,,, Finally I connected the DQ and GND of the sensor directlly to the Arduino. there was a inestable signal but after to connect a 1 uF capacitor between of the Vdd and Ground of the external device, work's fine.

thank you so much!!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.