Reading a Wire

Is there such sensor that can read a wire? For example if I wanted to read a when a motorbike indicator turns on, is there a sensor that I can put outside the wire(don't want to strip the wire) that can read a change of flow or something ? then I can use that data to make something else run? lets say another LED? It can be as simple as reading and sending 1/0

don’t want to strip the wire

See:

image.jpg

You could try a current sensor, basically a coil that raps around the current carrying cable which induces a voltage through the coil and detect it that way. Look into current sensors. Just a thought.

I would need a voltage reg if I split the wire and try to read it, right?

Use a voltage divider and use an analog input. OR Use a level translator, transistor switch, and feed that to a digital input. OR Use a ULN2803, where you could monitor 8 such inputs with one I.C. and the Arduino.

Hmmm, Well this is what I resourced today.

-Posi Tap splitter ( like above ) -RF transmitter combo

You think there is anyway to read it and then transmit weather the light turns on or not with those two?

falcon1337: I would need a voltage reg if I split the wire and try to read it, right?

No, wrong.

You think there is anyway to read it and then transmit weather the light turns on or not with those two?

No. You need to tap at two points on a circuit in order to read it. As it is a bike it is likely to be noisy. You might be better looking at an opto isolator. You make the lamp circuit also light up the LED in the opto isolator and then you feed the output into your arduino.

opto isolator sounds like a good idea, but then how would I get the I/0 from the opto isolator to the arduino by some sort of wireless component ( needs to be small because I want to fit on a bike).

like an rf transmitter/receiver and a relay of some sort.

If you need wireless then there is no need for an opto isolator. Although I would be supprised if you can get a radio link to work on a bike with all that interference. This is your first mention of a wireless link, it will be a problem.

Sorry forgot to mention the wireless DOH! :sweat_smile:

Here is a quick drawing of what I would like to happen :slight_smile:

And how far is the arduino from your transmitter?

less than 2M?

Radio might be a pain, have you considered IR?

When using IR doesn't there need to be a direct view of both sender and receiver?

falcon1337:
When using IR doesn’t there need to be a direct view of both sender and receiver?

Yes.

Hmmm, that might be a problem as I’m hoping to put it inside the bike.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to do this? Bluetooth? Whats Xbee like? I was really hoping that my RF would work :frowning:

I woudn't touch Bluetooth with a barge pole, I am having to work with it at the moment and it is rubbish. Using Xbee you have a modicome of error correction so I should try that but the bike might wipe it out.

Hahah sounds like everything wont work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Any other suggestions? Should I still play around with the RF sensors? If they can send whether its on or off thats all I need. And what about those current sensors? can I have an example?

Should I still play around with the RF sensors?

No idea it is many years since I had a bike. Electrically it was as noisy as f*** maybe they are quieter nowadays. I would avoid RF if possible, if not then experiment with that before worrying about the sensors.