Reading an ethernet boards MAC

Is it possible to read the MAC address directly from the ethernet board? Something like a getMAC?

Which Ethernet board?

Does it have a default MAC address? I am not aware of one that does.

Read this thread: Arduino Forum

Thanks for the reply.
I had the idea that each Ethernet Arduino came with a MAC blown into it, like a NIC card. I guess I was mistaken.
Now I understand that the paper tag on the bottom of the Arduino is simply a MAC that, if used, is guaranteed to be unique but that it has to be transferred manually to the Arduino.
It’s actually to bad because now each end unit that contains an Ethernet Arduino has to have initialization software sent along with the unit.
Do I understand correctly now?

It’s actually to bad because now each end unit that contains an Ethernet Arduino has to have initialization software sent along with the unit. Do I understand correctly now?

Maybe not. One usually assigns a MAC address in the code that is going to be loaded into the arduino. not sure what your initialization software is.

For bulk production it is normal for the MAC address to be stored in an external serial (I²C / SPI) EEPROM chip. These can be pre-programmed from a list of MAC addresses by the manufacturer before being inserted into the circuit. Most EEPROM chip manufacturers provide a service for doing this, or for smaller batches you can do it yourself inhouse with something like a PicKit2 or similar.