Reading an IR remote for RGB LED strips

I have an arduino uno, doing lots of other things, but I have four spare analog pins, I would like to read the IR remote from an RGB led strip like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-RGB-5050-Waterproof-LED-Strip-light-300-SMD-24-Key-Remote-12V-Supply-Power-US-/252918824333?epid=691533819&hash=item3ae322fd8d:g:QYMAAOSwHMJYC3In

I will remove the MCU that comes with the strip, and solder the arduino to the npn transistors and the IR reciever to a pin on the uno, I have already opened the case of the orginal controller, and there are three npn transistors which are getting 0 - 5v depending on how you set it,

Im sure there is already a code made for this, I cant get it on google, does anyone have a link to a code that will do this for me? surely its been made by now?

You also need to have 3 pwm pins to control the npn s

Then another analog to connect the ir receiver directly and then use a library to read the commands

spruce_m00se:
I will remove the MCU that comes with the strip, and solder the arduino to the npn transistors and the IR reciever to a pin on the uno,

Thanks, I figured that part out,

Update:
I have connected the arduino, with analogs 1,2 and 3 to the NPN transistors,
the previous MCU gave 4.8v to the transistor.

I have written a script to raise and lower brightness, but it only raises, then the npns get hot,
I have found a script online that should do nice effects, but they only ever go up in brightness, never down.

Also when I reset the arduino they dont turn off, only once I cut power to the arduino and start it again,

Is there such a thing that may stop a transistor turning off as expected?

spruce_m00se:
Update:
I have connected the arduino, with analogs 1,2 and 3 to the NPN transistors,
the previous MCU gave 4.8v to the transistor.

I have written a script to raise and lower brightness, but it only raises, then the npns get hot,
I have found a script online that should do nice effects, but they only ever go up in brightness, never down.

Also when I reset the arduino they dont turn off, only once I cut power to the arduino and start it again,

Is there such a thing that may stop a transistor turning off as expected?

I suggest you to leave the old led controller behind and build yourself one.

Also, i don't think they are npn transistors they might be n channel mosfet which are much better.
You could buy some or get them from scrap 3 identical ones and the look at the datasheet to see exactly how to drive them
They shoudn't get hot at all.

At my project i simply used a op amp as a level shifter to drive the n mosfets and it worked pretty well

And about the code it's very simple to build one you know the basics which are that every color have a different pwm signal and you can build your own color by changing them individually
And for the brightness you can substract the same precent for all the colors
For ex you have those values for
R.... G..... B....
Then if you want to drop 10% of the brightness you calculate 10% of each value and substract by it
Just like this:
150-10%=135
80-10%=72
200-10%=180
Then write those via analogWrite on your pwm pins

Well, In my haste, I hadnt changed the pin defines from the code i copied and pasted, (idiot) then I realised that I have forgotten the fact that not all analog pins are actually PWM pins, (idiot)
the analog pwm pin mixup was caused becasue I only have four pins left on my uno, and I had left them as analogs when I made up the wiring loom, then today I assumed I had gotten it right last time, (idiot)

long story short, I have fading RGB leds up and down as they should be now and nice cool npns.

But I think I will make a controller with some beefier npns. although I dont know if the current on the pins for the arduino can drive a beefy npn fully on?
so maybe a transistor to drive the npn etc, and it gets complicated.

back to my original want,
does anyone have a code to read the IR on the remote?

Search for "ir arduino library"