Reading | avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

For my first development board, I got a Sparkfun Blackboard C and a light detector and linked them together with a Qwiik connector.

I then installed the Arduino IDE and connected my Blackboard C to my laptop with the USB C cable that I use for my phone. I use Windows 10.

On their website, Sparkfun specifies that the board is compatible with the Arduino/Genuino Uno. At first, I didn’t find this board so I selected Arduino Uno and tried to upload a sketch in python.

At first, the code seemed to work, LEDs started to blink on the detector PCB but I got an error message in the Arduino IDE. I then tried to upload an empty sketch to erase the previous upload without success:

I saved the complete error message that appears while uploading the code if you guys want to see it.

I later found that I had to roll back to an earlier version of Arduino VR boards to be able to select Arduino/Genuino Uno as the board I am currently using.

Should I be trying to burn a fresh bootloader?

Thanks in advance,

That’s not necessary. The only difference between the “Arduino Uno” and the “Arduino/Genuino Uno” is the text shown in the menu. The reason for this name change was that some years ago Arduino had a legal dispute over the ownership of the “Arduino” trademark. As a backup in case it was not possible to come to an agreement, they started to establish a new trademark “Genuino”. Fortunately, everything worked out fine in the end and the “Genuino” trademark ended up not being needed. So they have now removed all mentions of “Genuino”. The point of this boring story is that there is no functional significance to the difference in board names.

I order to gather more information that might help us to troubleshoot your problem, I’m going to ask you to post the full output from the upload when in verbose mode.

Please do this:

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE’s menus.
  2. Uncheck the checkbox next to Show verbose output during: [ ] compilation
  3. Check the checkbox next to Show verbose output during: [ ] upload.
  4. Click the OK button.
  5. Attempt an upload, as you did before.
  6. After the upload fails, you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar Copy error messages. Click that button. This copies the full output to the clipboard.
  7. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  8. Click the </> icon on the post composer toolbar. This will add the forum’s code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the error messages are correctly formatted.
    Code block
  9. Press Ctrl+V. This will paste the error output from the upload into the code block.
  10. Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  11. Click the Reply button to post the output.

Hi pert and thanks for the quick response, here’s the verbose output during upload:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 444 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_269258/sketch_apr28a.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM7

Using Programmer              : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

AVR Part                      : ATmega328P

Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us

PAGEL                         : PD7

BS2                           : PC2

RESET disposition             : dedicated

RETRY pulse                   : SCK

serial program mode           : yes

parallel program mode         : yes

Timeout                       : 200

StabDelay                     : 100

CmdexeDelay                   : 25

SyncLoops                     : 32

ByteDelay                     : 0

PollIndex                     : 3

PollValue                     : 0x53

Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled

Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack

----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------

eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff

flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff

lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00

hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00

efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00

lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00

calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino

Description     : Arduino

Hardware Version: 3

Firmware Version: 4.4

Vtarget         : 0.3 V

Varef           : 0.3 V

Oscillator      : 28.800 kHz

SCK period      : 3.3 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)

avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_269258/sketch_apr28a.ino.hex"

avrdude: writing flash (444 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.08s

avrdude: 444 bytes of flash written

avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_269258/sketch_apr28a.ino.hex:

avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_269258/sketch_apr28a.ino.hex:

avrdude: input file C:\Users\XPS\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_269258/sketch_apr28a.ino.hex contains 444 bytes

avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

############avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avr_read(): error reading address 0x0000

read operation not supported for memory "flash"

avrdude: failed to read all of flash memory, rc=-2

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the selected serial port 

does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

What happens if you disconnect all external circuitry/wiring/modules/shields from the Blackboard and try uploading to the Blackboard alone?

In some cases, having things connected to the Arduino board can interfere with uploads.

Trying uploading to the Blackboard alone yields the same error message.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.