Reading data from wind direction sensor with rs485 to TTL module

Hi,

I want to build a device that can measure the direction of the wind. I decided to go with the following wind direction measurement sensor:

I found out that the device communicates with rs485 protocol, so I also got the following rs485 module:

I don’t have a lot of experience with this type of communication but still tried to program some code with the help of other similar posts to this. This is my code:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
#define RX        10    //Serial Receive pin --> connected to RXD of rs485 module
#define TX        11    //Serial Transmit pin --> connect to TXD of rs485 module

byte Anemometer_request[] = {0x02, 0x03, 0x00, 0x17, 0x00, 0x01, 0x34, 0x0E}; // request_frame
byte Anemometer_buf[7];                                                       // receive_frame

SoftwareSerial rs485serial(RX, TX); // SoftwareSerial initialisation

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  rs485serial.begin(9600);
  delay(1000);
}

void loop() {
  rs485serial.write(Anemometer_request, sizeof(Anemometer_request));  // request
  rs485serial.flush();                                                // wait for the request to be sent
  delay(500);
  while(rs485serial.available()){
    rs485serial.readBytes(Anemometer_buf, sizeof(Anemometer_buf));      // read
  }

Serial.println("Data: ");                                             // print out data

for (byte i=0; i<7; i++){
    Serial.println(Anemometer_buf[i], HEX);

}
  Serial.println(" ");
  delay(4000);
}

I hooked up an 11.1v lipo battery to a boost converter and set the voltage around 16 volts. This should be enough to power the wind direction sensor which is rated from 12v to 24v. I also, of course, hooked up the 485-A to A and 485-B to B. Here is the wiring from the rs485 module to my Arduino:

GND → Arduino GND
VCC → Arduino 5v
TX → Arduino TX pin
RX → Arduino RX pin

But instead of getting data, the Serial monitor outputs:

Data:

I’d be really grateful if somebody had an idea of what was going wrong here. One thing I find strange is, that my RS485 to TTL module doesn’t have a receive enable and transmit enable pin. I guess it switches automatically? One thing that seems to be working is the TXD led on my rs485 module, whenever I send a request.

In the attachments, I have also added the manual for my wind direction sensor.

Thanks for reading this!

John