Reading mutiple sensors

Hi
I am looking for a way to read say 5 sensors (A,B,C,D,E) and return the sensor with the maximum value.
That is, I don't need the value read by the sensor but which sensor ( A - E) had the greatest value.

I have looked at the "max" function but that only works with two values and returns the value not which value. I don't want to have to go through and compare A to B then A to C etc until D to E. There must be a better way.
Thanks

I don't want to have to go through and compare A to B then A to C etc until D to E.

Why not?

Which sensor returned the biggest value?
How did you work that out?

max(A, max(B, max(C, max(D, E))))

If you need to do that multiple places and you would prefer a syntax like maximum(A, B, C, D, E) then you can create that function.

pert:

max(A, max(B, max(C, max(D, E))))

If you need to do that multiple places and you would prefer a syntax like maximum(A, B, C, D, E) then you can create that function.

No, that doesn't return the index (hint) of the sensor with the largest reading.

Ah, I see now. How’s this?

int sensorValue[5];
//sensor readings here
const byte sensorCount = sizeof(sensorValue) / sizeof(sensorValue[0]);
byte maxSensorIndex;
for (maxSensorIndex = 0; maxSensorIndex < sensorCount - 1; maxSensorIndex++) {
  bool isMax = true;
  for (byte sensorIndex = 0; sensorIndex < sensorCount; sensorIndex++) {
    if (sensorValue[maxSensorIndex] < sensorValue[sensorIndex]) {
      isMax = false;
      break;
    }
  }
  if (isMax == true) {
    break;
  }
}

Should work. Nice solution.
One minor detail: I would add a

#define SENSORCOUNT 5[code]
and use that instead of calculating the size, and use the same macro to create the sensorValue[] array, and probably one or two more arrays related to the sensor such as the pin connection.