reading program from old lcd and writing to new replacment lcd is it possible

Hi every one first thing i will say is that i am very much a beginner to Arduino Please bear with my sorry for any silly questions i will ask.

The company i work for has a piece of electrical test equipment with what appears to be a generic 20 pin 128x64 LCD which has become damaged from impact. We are unable to source a new screen from the manufacturer of the unit and they have recommended that we buy a complete replacement unit.
For us this is Ridiculous because of the cost of a new unit and that the one we have is less than 18 months old.

To add salt to the wound it appears that from normal sources the screen is very inexpensive.

The back light and LCD driver appears to be working as it should (some of the characters display on parts of the LCD)

the exact unit i have identified it to be is this http://www.blazedisplay.com/cn/products/128x64serialgraphiclcdmodule/1037.html

i have purchased a replacement screen from eBay

Without me understanding how it works I fitted it expecting it to just work. It did not, the backlight works as it should but no characters show.

I then did more research on the screen and i found out that they need to be programed.

This is the area where i start to become out of my depth.

Is it possible use a Arduino to read and save the program off the old damaged LCD, save it and write it to the new replacement LCD?

I have found a lot of info about programing a LCD from scratch but no info on reading and saving a program.

Is there someone who has had experience doing this kind of thing that may be able to give ma a hand with this.

I have a Arduino UNO R3 on order but it has not yet arrived for me to give it a try.

sorry for the long post
thanks

kerbel:
I then did more research on the screen and i found out that they need to be programed.

This is the area where i start to become out of my depth.

I would say quite immediately, since I don't think you're right about that. I've never seen a module like that that you could program, except for some configuration options. Can you provide some links to that research? It's far more likely that you have a module with a slightly different pinout - there isn't a standard.

Can you post some good quality pictures of the front and back of the original screen? Someone may be able to help identify exactly what you need for a replacement.

aarg:
I would say quite immediately, since I don't think you're right about that. I've never seen a module like that that you could program, except for some configuration options. Can you provide some links to that research? It's far more likely that you have a module with a slightly different pinout - there isn't a standard.

You are probably correct in thinking that I may have it wrong

these are some pics of the damaged LCD

This is a diagram i found for the damaged LCD

this is the replacement unit from a local electronics suppler