Reading proprietary RFID tags

Apologies if this question is too specific, but here goes:

My lab is working to develop an arduino-based behavioral rig, and the datalogging requires that each animal be identified when performing the task (this has all been legally approved). To accomplish this, we’ve purchased a number of implantable RFID tags made specifically for this purpose, with the following specs:

Environment: Water immersion IP68
Mechanical/Vibration: IEC 68.2.6 (6 g, 14…200 Hz, 3 axis, 8 Hz/axis)
Mechanical/Shock IEC 68.2.29 (30 g, 18 ms, 3 axis, 1084 times/axis)
Identification Code: 64 bits
Transmit Protocol: PSK
Operating Frequency: 128 kHz ± 6 kHz
Transmit Time: 119 ìs/bit (8375 baud)

The OEM readers are useless for this purpose, so I was hoping to have the arduino prototype read the tags directly. I’m not much of a hardware guy, so I purchased an RDM6300 reader (125kHz) for this purpose, hoping that it would work. Unfortunately, using a simple SoftwareSerial connection, I am unable to obtain any signal whatsoever. Is there anything I can tweak to allow the board to read these tags, or will I be unable to read from a proprietary chip with my current setup? I’ve already tried changing to 8375 baud, with no results.

Thanks in advance!

Code, if it’s useful:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial RFID(2, 3); // RX and TX
int i;
void setup()
{
  RFID.begin(9600); // start serial to RFID reader
  Serial.begin(9600); // start serial to PC
}
void loop()
{
  if (RFID.available() > 0)
  {
    i = RFID.read();
    Serial.print(i, DEC);
    Serial.print(" ");
  }
}

The tag manufacturer can tell you what reader to use.

The implantable chips are very small compared with the keyfob tags and credit card tags that the reader is designed for. A result of the small size will be that a higher field strength will be needed to activate the tag. A smaller antenna may help but the range will be much shorter.

The readers used by the vets on domestic animals need to be almost in contact with the skin and in the right place.

Russell.

How big are the animals? Elephant size or mouse size?

Sorry, I realize it's been a while. I ended up purchasing the Trovan ARE 008P OEM chip for monitoring (link). The chip interfaces well with arduino via TTL, but I have yet to actually read any tags successfully. I'll update if I ever manage to craft a working antenna.

To answer previous questions:
I'm reading tags implanted into young (P21-ish) mice through a plexiglass cage. I am not particularly confident that this will ever be feasible.

ragman922:
Sorry, I realize it's been a while. I ended up purchasing the Trovan ARE 008P OEM chip for monitoring (link). The chip interfaces well with arduino via TTL, but I have yet to actually read any tags successfully. I'll update if I ever manage to craft a working antenna.

Are you using the OEM antenna ?

Crafting your own may not be as easy as you think.