reading tweets

Hi, umm yeh, Im new here, but not to ardunio.

[u]the problem:[/u] Ive found loads of examples of sending tweets using the twitter lib & the ethernet sheild(the wizport chip based one), but nothing using those for reading tweets.. Has anyone managed this?

[u]What on earth do I want to do?[/u] Basically, I'm at a student TV station in a university, We have a huge wire based broadcast network, that spans the campus (like, the whole network is over a mile (1.6km) wide). we use it to send our signal around. Or atleast we used to - asbestos problems mean that we are no-longer allowed access to loads of our switching gear. (and if theres no asbestos, estates dept dont like us getting into cupboards to patch stuff >:( .

That effectively means the cabling is still there, but not the control gear!(grrr). So the idea is to use as much of the existing cable as possible, and add some more where needed...

These cables will then be driven by strategically placed "netboxes", which are hopefully going to be twitter controlled: ethernet sockets are all over the place here. :) arduio clients will read a special "netcontrol" twitter account to recieve routing commands. the arduinoes will then talk via parrallel (the D pins) to some Video matrix chips.

The whole solution will then allow us to send A/V round campus again, and not need the estates dept's permission to change things! - thus then we can broadcast from any location on campus, and have remote contribution from different places (useful especially on election nights, where we broadcast from a main studio, and have an "outside broadcast" setup somewhere else.)

Can anyone give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Thanks, Mike

Did you get anywhere with this?

Well, time for another long story I guess!

Short answer: No :(

Long answer: The University is based around a plastic bottomed lake. They have bridges. Which are old, so they decided to go and repair a load of them, In the process, they never told us that this would result in our cable runs being cut... So now there are bits of cable that exist, and bits that don't. They haven't told us which they've cut! - All we know is that there is now No way of sending our video directly point to point without Streaming video over the campus fibre network. Streaming means delays, so we can't do live linkups across the campus anymore :( So, the idea in the first post has gone out of the window completely!

GOOD NEWS :)

As I say, there is a lake in the middle of everything, spanning practically all of campus. This lake is apparently dangerous - bacteria, algae and so on. This means no-one, not even maintenance crews will go there because of Health n' safety. Thus, the lake is the safest place!

We intend to do that, which means we also don't need the intelligence anymore - all we'll do is plug in some video senders when we need them!

We are using arduino to do other things now though - they control video routing inside our station, and monitor parts of our lighting rig :) so yeh, not all is bad, and we have a solution to anything now!