Real time Arduino serial monitor data to online database

Hi all, I am doing an energy monitor project and have power readings shown on the arduino serial monitor.
I am doing it wirelessly with 2 xbees. I would like to get the data on the serial monitor to a database such as mysql. Is it possible to do it without an ethernet shield? I only have the 2 xbees to transmit data wirelessly from my arduino board to the desktop. Thanks alot!

I would create a small python application on the PC to read the serial port and put the values (after a quality check) in the database. Python is free and has very good examples for mySQL

Here's a pretty good option if you don't want to learn Python. Bonus: it can write to many databases.

Look at the tutorials section for examples.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually I would like to display the power consumption on an android app that I want to make. I thought I could get the data on a database first then link it up with the App.

Is there any way to create an android app which displays the data directly from the arduino serial monitor?

jeff83:
Is there any way to create an android app which displays the data directly from the arduino serial monitor?

There may be if you are an Android app whiz?
Know Java?

jeff83:

That is not the correct way of expressing it.

No matter what route you choose you will not be taking data from the Arduino Serial Monitor. The usual thing is to have a program that receives the data from the Arduino in place of the Serial Monitor.

AFAIK you can receive serial data using Bluetooth on an Android device. It is also possible to write programs for Android devices but that is well beyond the scope of this Forum.

...R

So to say, without the ethernet shield or any form of internet connection from arduino to the internet, can I send data from my arduino to desktop using 2 xbees, and using a python script, get data from the COM port that my xbee dongle is plugged into, get the data up into a database such as mysql?

From there, can I also create an android app which displays real time data from mysql database?

I have no knowledge on python and java. Is there any guides or tutorials out there where I can follow to do the above?

Thanks.

What you want to achieve is perfectly plausible. You'll be lucky to find a tutorial that encompasses it all but you can certainly find direction on Python, Java and Android apps individually.

This Python - Arduino demo may help get you started. Just note that it was written on the assumption that the Arduino would be connected using a USB cable and that the Arduino would reset when the Python program opens the serial port. That won't happen with a wireless connection.

...R