Really basic install problem on Windows 10

I am at last moving my IDE off an ageing Window 7 machine to a new Windows 10. The install from the Windows Store goes quickly and silently and the IDE is there, but no drivers, so no serial ports. Only the default COM1 of the machine. There is no Arduino driver, nothing. Under Other Devices there is a CP2104 USB to UART Bridge Controller which is not updateable. I cannot even find where it has put the core files, damn Windows OneDrive keeps trying to steal everything.

First off AVOID using one drive (or other cloud storage devices) for anything Arduino related as there are plenty of tales of woe with that regards.

Also be wary of the windows APP version as that too can be quite fussy even though it is designed for win 10.

Better to download the proper version you need and do a real install.

Adding some clean up instructions that you may find useful.

Bob.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)

Are you using an official board? Is the board plugged in? Nothing will show up until the board is plugged in.

The CP2104 USB-serial interface chip is used on some clone boards. Drivers for clones are not included with the IDE. If you have a clone with a CP2104 USB-serial adapter, you need to download and install the drivers for it .

Thanks, Bob. I will give that a try, as soon as I get a chance. Holiday weekend is intruding. :slight_smile:

David