Really Confused Selecting an Xbee

I want to monitor a door, so after a lot of research I bought a Visonic Door/Window Wireless (Zigbee) Contact MCT-320 SMA:

http://www.openhome.io/deviceDetails?productId=59

I chose it because not only does it say Zigbee compliant, but it seems compatible with a bunch of different systems as well as Comcast XFINITY and Time Warner smart home products. It seems more universally compatible than several products labeled "Zigbee".

The thing is, now I have to pick an XBee to use as a receiver. All I know is that it must be 2.4GHz and "Zigbee" to match the end device.

1. Does it matter which one I choose? I have no idea if it uses point-point, point-multipoint, star, etc. Does it matter?
  2. If I add more of these MCT-320s, do I need a separate Xbee receiver for each, or will the one I purchase act as a coordinator?
  1. Does it matter which one I choose? I have no idea if it uses point-point, point-multipoint, star, etc. Does it matter?

Yes, it matters. Point to point models will not join a network. You can’t really buy an XBee and expect it to talk to that device. Zigbee is a protocol implemented by XBees and other devices. But, not all devices that implement the protocol will talk to XBees.

For instance, all XBees have a PAN ID. What is the PAN ID of that device, so that you can set the PAN ID of your device to join the same point-to-(multi)point network or the same star network?

How do I know which Xbee to buy? None of the sensors that I have looked at specify if they are point-point, mesh etc.

None of the sensors that I have looked at specify if they are point-point, mesh etc.

You will have to contact the manufacturer, to see if they will provide that information. I would not be surprised if they said no. Baud rate, type, API vs. AT mode, PAN ID, frequency, etc. are things that you need to know about an unknown device in order to be able to talk to, or listen to, it.