really easy question

I am quickly picking up the Arduino Uno's first book. I am moving on to a motor shield and my project requires 4 bidirectional motors.

I'm looking at this shield http://www.adafruit.com/products/1438, what 1.5v motors would you recommend? Working on an android controlled zeppelin long term.

Also, I would like to make friends o currently don't know anyone who programs or tinkers.

In my opinion, Pololu has the best selection of motor drivers, motors and other things you need for robotics, although they tend to specialize in ground-based systems. They are outstanding engineers and have a very helpful and responsive user and support forum for their products and related questions. http://www.pololu.com

I second that. I've got a couple of Pololu boards- a 2120 power supply and a 2130 motor driver, as well as a Zumo.

Really good quality and those two boards are really tiny. They do everything very neatly....

That sounds like a really cool idea. You will need some kind of remote control too. Standard RC or infrared or something. Will this be like an outdoor blimp or smaller than that?

If you need a really small 2.4Ghz receiver that can be programmed as an Arduino you should consider these
http://www.deltino.com/

I am using them to control N-Gauge model trains.

…R

Robin2: If you need a really small 2.4Ghz receiver that can be programmed as an Arduino you should consider these http://www.deltino.com/

I am using them to control N-Gauge model trains.

...R

That is very cool... looks like it can work with Spektrum aircraft radios, so that's really cool, that's what I use for all my planes and stuff.

jasmine2501:
That sounds like a really cool idea. You will need some kind of remote control too. Standard RC or infrared or something. Will this be like an outdoor blimp or smaller than that?

Oh this is just a small project just something to fly around my apartment I was goint to use a Bluetooth slave and my cell phone.

Also, thank you very much everyone for your replies.

Masterchilds:

jasmine2501: That sounds like a really cool idea. You will need some kind of remote control too. Standard RC or infrared or something. Will this be like an outdoor blimp or smaller than that?

Oh this is just a small project just something to fly around my apartment I was goint to use a Bluetooth slave and my cell phone.

That sounds relatively safe, but for any other application, you're going to want to have high-speed active radio control, so that an actual pilot can take control if there's a problem. IMO that should be a top-level rule for all drones - you must allow an external human pilot to take control at any time.

Bluetooth is fine for inside, but for outside it's really not. Just read up on all the AR.Drones that fly away. I personally would not fly an aircraft with Bluetooth unless I had physical walls to keep it from flying away.

Will this be like a rigid airship or a balloon?

jasmine2501: That is very cool... looks like it can work with Spektrum aircraft radios, so that's really cool, that's what I use for all my planes and stuff.

The off-the-shelf Deltang versions are compatible with Spektrum transmitters.

I have completely re-programmed mine as Arduino devices that aren't Spektrum compatible. I guess it would be possible to have an Arduino device that could interpret Spektrum transmissions, but I don't know how to do that.

I wrote about my explorations here http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=174358.0 It's a little out of date as the newer Rx6xs have a different h-bridge arrangement.

...R

Well you could always just put an actual Spektrum receiver and run jumpers for each channel. That's probably what I will end up doing. I know that works because it's the basis of the Ardupilot control system.

jasmine2501:

Masterchilds:

jasmine2501:

That sounds relatively safe, but for any other application, you’re going to want to have high-speed active radio control, so that an actual pilot can take control if there’s a problem. IMO that should be a top-level rule for all drones - you must allow an external human pilot to take control at any time.

Bluetooth is fine for inside, but for outside it’s really not. Just read up on all the AR.Drones that fly away. I personally would not fly an aircraft with Bluetooth unless I had physical walls to keep it from flying away.

Will this be like a rigid airship or a balloon?

Simple balloon, I am so new this is just something to wet my feet with motors and programming a majority of the things you guys are talking about have no meaning to me unfortunately. I had planned on copying a lot of this guys ideas.

Any recommendations as far as reading and tips?

Well, if anyone knows about blimps it's gonna be these folks here... http://www.rcgroups.com/blimps-62/

You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. The robot has way more features than you need, but it might be fun to experiment with some of that stuff on an airship. You don't even really need an Arduino to make a blimp fly, it can be controlled with plain old RC. So, it just depends on how complicated you want to get. I would start with the simple, but I already have a bunch of RC equipment - I could probably make a blimp with what I have lying around the house. Once I was satisfied with the aircraft in simple RC configuration, that's when I would start trying to add robot type features to it.

Dude, great reference. I know I could have made a simple blimp with RC components but I wanted to learn a bit with my arduino. Thank you for the site :)

Yeah no problem. Let me know if you post a thread over there, I know those folks would find your idea really interesting. I find it really interesting too, I have two drones with advanced features, one Arduino and one PIC-based. It is a fun hobby to play with for sure, I've been flying RC aircraft for about 8 years now and it's the most fun I ever had :)