Receive and retransmit DMX-512

I am working on a project where I need to sample an incoming DMX stream, and then send it out onto a new stream having altered the data. The application is to run some LED strings where each LED requires three channels. For this application I don't need such fine control and would like to be able to use three channels as opposed to 96 for each 32 LED string.

There seems to be excellent code examples for both transmit and receive, but I can't tell if they will run well together. I have seen a commercial unit that does this using 2 PIC chips that appear to pass the DMX data via IO - have 8 lines run between the two chips with one wired to receive circuit and one wired to transmit circuit.

Any thoughts is one Arduino is up to the task. Anyone done something like this?

Thanks for any feedback?

Chuck

Timing is my concern. I have been looking mostly at the code based on Henne's work - http://www.hoelscher-hi.de/hendrik/english/dimmer.htm#transceiver - which I have seen some ports of to Aruduino. Just not familiar enough with how the USART interrupts work to know if they would be causing problems for each other, and if so how best to solve those issues. I have tried the tinkerIt DMX transmission code that bit bangs the out going DMX but have had limited success using it with other commercial DMX products.

Thanks for the feedback.