Receive RF from Xfinity XR11 TV Remote on Arduino

My question is pretty basic. This remote has buttons that sends both IR and RF, and I'd like to be able to receive RF signals from this remote specifically on an arduino to trigger sending out data from the arduino in response to button presses on the remote (to keep it simple, lets just assume the arduino is controlling an LED each time a certain button on the Xfinity remote is pressed).

I've tried looking around online for answers and eventually ended up getting a generic 433 MHz receiver from amazon (WayinTop) thinking this would somehow be able to get the job done (which it didnt). I assumed this thing could just receive any kind of signal from any kind of RF remote working on this frequency, but it receives nothing when buttons are pressed on the Xfinity remote (I'm using the rc-switch library [sui77]). I've used the included 433MHz transmitter in a separate test to verify that the receiver is working.

Am a bit confused how this can be accomplished with this specific remote. Is there something I'm missing? Am I going about this the wrong way? Would I need a different kind of receiver module or is there some other issue why this receiver isnt working with this remote? Any guidance would be appreciated

anonuserard1839:
I assumed this thing could just receive any kind of signal from any kind of RF remote working on this frequency

Nope, the opposite is often the case.

RF transmitters might use the same frequencies but the modulation can be very different between different types of modules. Module type often have to be the same type to understand each other.

Think humans, most speak in the same range of audio frequencies, maybe 300hz to 3khz, but the languages used can be very different. So a Chinese person may not be able to order a beer (in his native language) in a foriegn country, because they are not understood.

srnet:
RF transmitters might use the same frequencies but the modulation can be very different between different types of modules. Module type often have to be the same type to understand each other.

I see. So what would be the first step in figuring out the correct type for this remote specifically? I’m assuming I would have to open it up and look at the components it uses (since I cant find any information on the remote online outside of basic things like user manuals or programming it to a TV or whatever). The only thing I did manage to find out online is that it uses Texas Instruments CC2530 which has an RF Transceiver but I’m not even sure that’s what I’m supposed to be looking for.

Isn't it easier to decode the IR signal of the remote instead of the RF signal.
Plenty of libraries around that decode many types of remote protocols.
Leo..

Wawa:
Isn't it easier to decode the IR signal of the remote instead of the RF signal.

For what I'm trying to accomplish, no. I still want the remote to function properly as it will be in use with a TV and arduino simultaneously. The remote only has a few buttons that send IR. These are the power buttons and volume buttons. Either the TV would have to be shut off in order for the arduino to receive input from the remote or each time the volume is adjusted on the remote it triggers the arduino's response which isnt really what im looking for. There are a handful of "useless buttons" on this remote (that send RF only) that would work great for what im trying to do. These buttons typically do nothing when pressed and are rarely ever pressed by the user anyways. In this way it would be like im "borrowing" one of these buttons to do something separately to an arduino near a TV thats being watched all while the arduino is receiving RF signals and not interfering with TV watching.

I'm basically trying to simplify things by reducing the need for additional remotes (since I know I could just get a different one and use that with the arduino instead). Being able to control the TV and arduino with a single remote would be ideal.

anonuserard1839:
For what I'm trying to accomplish, no. I still want the remote to function properly as it will be in use with a TV and arduino simultaneously. The remote only has a few buttons that send IR.

Understood, and good to know only some buttons transmit IR.
Someone asked me to make a 'translator' between an LG TV remote (RF+IR) and an Onkyo HT amplifier (Serial).
For volume/mute control only. But if IR fails, I might have to divert to RF too. (LG uses AFAIK 2.4Ghz)
Please keep us updated.
Leo..

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.