Receiving an error message, even with the simplest project Blink. How to resolve

I am new to Arduino, so please take that into consideration if the error I am facing can be resolved quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

When I proceed to compile any project, regardless of it's complexity (the error appears with the simple Blink project as well as the current Ethernet one I am working on), I receive the following error:

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

Is this related to Tools -> Programmer?
What is this "programmer" configuration used for, and is there a specific "programmer type" I should be using?
How would I resolve this error message?

I have done my fair bit of research; I could not find any information regarding how to solve the error message. I only found information regarding Tools -> Programmer, which was minuscule.

Are you using the standard Arduino IDE to compile and upload your programs?

What version of the IDE are you using?
What operating system is on your PC?

What Arduino board are you using?

...R

Robin2:
Are you using the standard Arduino IDE to compile and upload your programs?

What version of the IDE are you using?
What operating system is on your PC?

What Arduino board are you using?

...R

Yes, I'm using the standard IDE; version 1.6.7.
OS is Windows 10.
My Arduino board is Arduino Uno.

May I bump this? It is on the second page and I would enjoy being able to work a bit more on arduino by the end of today.

Have you selected the correct board under Tools>Board? and your computer sees it on the appropriate com port? Does your computer recognize something is connected?

Under Tools>Programmer mine has AVRISP mkII selected, if that helps

Did you select Tools: Port: and select an available serial port?
Once selected, does the Loopback test work?

Selecting Tools:programmer does not matter if you do not a Programmer connected.

My port and board are correctly configured, and I changed the tools programmer to AVRISP mkll and still receive the error. I'll do a reinstallation of the IDE, it may have been a misconfiguration in an unusual place.

Are you doing an Upload, or Upload Using Programmer?

TheeNinja:
How would I resolve this error message?

Don't make mistakes using a WRONG function!

You better use function "upload" or" "compile and upload" from the IDE and NOT "upload with programmer".

The function "upload with programmer" requires an ISP programmer configured in the IDE and an ISP programmer connected to theISP connector of the board.