Receiving and Sending SMS using Arduino

Hi everyone. I have a question, can Arduino receive and send SMS without using AT commands? The example sketches in Arduino IDE is not working. Anyone who can hepl?

Well I suppose you mean with a GSM shield?

You can possibly use libraries that are hiding the AT commands but deep underneath that's what will happen.

usually when GSM shield don't work it is because the power is not sufficient (needs dedicated power supply able to provide up to 2A), the SIM card has a pin code or is not suited for the carrier network, or that the serial lines are not wired in the right way (or if not a shield, that the grounds of both circuits are not joined).

MRRU:
Hi everyone. I have a question, can Arduino receive and send SMS without using AT commands? The example sketches in Arduino IDE is not working. Anyone who can hepl?

Post a link of the GSM modem you are using.

I'm using Sim900a mini GSM module.

MRRU:
The example sketches in Arduino IDE is not working. Anyone who can hepl?

Examples in arduino IDE are for the Arduino Gsm shield.. And not for the different modules..
And AT Commands are to signal ur module to required task.. So u can hide those AT command but they will still run..

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

/*
    GSM Tx <--> digital pin 9
    GSM Rx <--> digital pin 8
*/
SoftwareSerial gsmSerial(9, 8);

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);   // Setting the baud rate of Serial Monitor (Arduino)
  gsmSerial.begin(9600);  // Setting the baud rate of GSM Module
  delay(100);
}

void loop()
{
  while (Serial.available()) gsmSerial.write(Serial.read());
  while (gsmSerial.available()) Serial.write(gsmSerial.read());
}

Upload this code to ur arduino, connect ur gsm modem and provide a external power supply 5v 2amps, proper supply is needed for working of gsm module,
Make the connection.
And open your serial monitor.
open the IDE Serial console and set it to 115200 bauds and sending CR/LF in the popup menus at the bottom

type AT and enter in the Serial Console --> do you see a response from your module?

(SIM900 is configured usually by default for auto-baud but you need to send A (generally AT) until you get an OK answer to establish correct baud rate)

Anket:
Examples in arduino IDE are for the Arduino Gsm shield.. And not for the different modules..
And AT Commands are to signal ur module to required task.. So u can hide those AT command but they will still run..

I've seen that code and text somewhere else... :slight_smile: Good to see reuse!

You can see in that document all the AT commands that should be supported --> you can type any of those in tour serial console to see what it does

J-M-L:
I've seen that code and text somewhere else... :slight_smile: Good to see reuse!

You can see in that document all the AT commands that should be supported --> you can type any of those in tour serial console to see what it does

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained