Recent Arduino/Genuino 101 Fix for Timeout Error (2020)

Hi! I was really persistent to look for ways on how to fix the Arduino/Genuino 101 Timeout Error, I searched different forums and read a lot of suggestions on how to fix the error, but still all failed, I know some of the 101 users already bricked their 101 or other just left it behind.
We are all aware that the Arduino 101 is already discontinued and even support is already stopped, Hence this little but powerful microcontroller is still out there and probably used by the some. Anyhow, to be straight to the point I finally I discovered the fix for the error.
Notice that when you insert your 101 to the USB plug it will read and install the device, checking it in the device manager will show the Arduino/Genuino 101 in "Other Devices" and a new COMPort (COMX) is added, then you install the Arduino IDE (regardless of the version), then install the Arduino 101 Board thru "Board Manager", the manager will install the Arduino 101 but it will not notify you that the driver for Arduino 101 is not installed due to error. So in short we are assuming that the driver for Arduino 101 is successfully installed. This is where the error lies. The software driver "dpinst-amd64" is not digitally signed and Windows is blocking to install unsigned drivers.
So what's the fix?
The fix here is still to install the "dpinst-amd64" since it is the driver needed to recognize your 101, the trick here is you need to install it in other way, not in your regular PC operation. You need to access the "disable signature enforcement" under the startup options (not safe mode). This startup mode will enable you to install unsigned drivers (I trust this Intel Curie driver since it was downloaded with the board). After installation restart your PC to its regular startup and plug-in again your Arduino/Genuino 101, this time the PC will now recognize the microcontroller and you can now upload sketches without the time out error.

For a step by step procedure:

1. Access Update and Security>Recovery>Advanced Startup
  2. Your computer will eventually restart and will bring you to the Advanced Startup, access Troubleshoot>Startup Settings. Your PC will restart again and options for the startup will display, choose number 7 "disable signature enforcement"
    3. Your PC will start. Locate "dpinst-amd64.exe" in C:>Users>YOUR USERNAME>AppData>Local>Arduino15>packages>Intel>hardware>arc32>2.0.4(latest version)>drivers>dpinst-amd64
    4. During installation a message will prompt if you want to install the unsigned driver, just click install.
    5. After installation restart your PC and your Arduino/Genuino 101 is good to go.
    6. To confirm that your Arduino/Genuino 101 is installed go to Device Manager and you will see that the Arduino/Genuino 101 is not anymore in the Other Devices.
    I hope this will help. :D I will try to make a video about this fix. :D
    Thanks!
    Regards, Raf

Thanks so much for sharing your findings @rafmigz!

For the sake of making any additional information available to the reader, I'll post a link to what may be a related GitHub issue:

I have a question about this:

rafmigz:
install the Arduino 101 Board thru "Board Manager", the manager will install the Arduino 101 but it will not notify you that the driver for Arduino 101 is not installed due to error. So in short we are assuming that the driver for Arduino 101 is successfully installed. This is where the error lies. The software driver "dpinst-amd64" is not digitally signed and Windows is blocking to install unsigned drivers.

Did you get a pop up at the end of the Boards Manager installation process asking you if you wanted to run "dpinst-amd64"?

Thanks a lot Raf.
I had spent many hours on this issue without success.
With your solution it works perfectly now.
I really appreciate..

Thanks,
Fatih

This issue has been nagging me for weeks, and all of the sudden I find a post that was 3 days ago with the exact fix. THANK YOU!

You are all welcome! Please share it to others who has problems with Arduino/Genuino 101 :smiley:

Regards,

Raf

pert:
Thanks so much for sharing your findings @rafmigz!

For the sake of making any additional information available to the reader, I’ll post a link to what may be a related GitHub issue:
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-arc32/issues/565

I have a question about this:Did you get a pop up at the end of the Boards Manager installation process asking you if you wanted to run “dpinst-amd64”?

Hi @pert!
Yes there is a prompt of the “Run” this is part of the Windows smartscreen feature, but after clicking run it will not tell you that there is an error with the installation, you can only know that there is a problem with installation when you install manually the “dpinst-amd64” in normal window mode.
Regards,
Raf