RECENTLY getting ptoblems such as "Arduino IDE won't start"

Have exactly the same problem with the binary...

Incompatibility with Nvidia Drivers

donwload and install : http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4378/

Hi, I downloaded arduino software and when Im trying to open it, I see the logo for 2 seconds and it closed. what should I do?

Try this:

• Start cmd.exe
  • Run the program arduino_debug.exe that’s located in the Arduino IDE installation folder.
  • Paste the output in a reply here using code tags (</> button on the toolbar).

Hopefully that will give us some useful information on the cause of the problem.

Looking for library 'user32'
Adding paths from jna.library.path: null
Trying user32.dll
Found library 'user32' at user32.dll
DPI detection failed, fallback to 96 dpi
Looking for library 'shell32'
Trying shell32.dll
Found library 'shell32' at shell32.dll
Looking for library 'Ole32'
Trying Ole32.dll
Found library 'Ole32' at Ole32.dll
Looking for library 'kernel32'
Trying kernel32.dll
Found library 'kernel32' at kernel32.dll
com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Win32Exception: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
        at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Shell32Util.getFolderPath(Shell32Util.java:48)
        at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Shell32Util.getFolderPath(Shell32Util.java:61)
        at cc.arduino.os.windows.Win32KnownFolders.getDocumentsFolder(Win32KnownFolders.java:71)
        at processing.app.windows.Platform.recoverDefaultSketchbookFolder(Platform.java:76)
        at processing.app.windows.Platform.init(Platform.java:55)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:197)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:140)

?

oohh270: Hi, I downloaded arduino software and when Im trying to open it, I see the logo for 2 seconds and it closed. what should I do?

Did you use 'run as administrator' when installing it?

Southpark:
Did you use ‘run as administrator’ when installing it?

Yes.

oohh270: Yes.

Ok. Thanks. Tell the guys (and girls) here what arduino version you're using... the latest one right? version 1.8.3 ?

Southpark: Ok. Thanks. Tell the guys (and girls) here what arduino version you're using... the latest one right? version 1.8.3 ?

1.8.3 yes

Hi. I´ fixed it on my system. If you changed paths of your old sketches it´ll crash. I´m using Windows 10 with old Arduino´s version 15 and I swaped My Documents from E:/ to D:/. The program tries to locate old files to launch and then it crashes.

You must change paths on your C:\Users\"USER"\AppData\Local\Arduino15\preferences.txt

Put back your sketches on old location too.

This steps solved my problem here.

The real fix is to properly uninstall the previous versions.

As mentioned in the attached PDF.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (345 KB)

aaguinaga: Hi. I´ fixed it on my system. If you changed paths of your old sketches it´ll crash. I´m using Windows 10 with old Arduino´s version 15 and I swaped My Documents from E:/ to D:/. The program tries to locate old files to launch and then it crashes.

You must change paths on your C:\Users\"USER"\AppData\Local\Arduino15\preferences.txt

Put back your sketches on old location too.

This steps solved my problem here.

Thank you for your answer! I dont find the arduino folder.. I have c-users-user-appdata-local and I dont have any arduino folder... What to do?

“c-users-user-appdata-local” is not a valid windows path !

I dont know how your copy of windows is even working with the hyphens " - "in the path.

Which of the downloads are you using: "Windows Installer", or "Windows ZIP file for non admin install"?

oohh270: I have c-users-user-appdata-local and I dont have any arduino folder...

The first time you open the Arduino IDE if that folder doesn't exist it's supposed to create it. However, if something goes wrong before then it won't get that far. If it's not able to create that folder, due to permissions that would also cause the IDE to not start.

ballscrewbob:
The real fix is to properly uninstall the previous versions.

As mentioned in the attached PDF.

I dont find any of these folders…

ballscrewbob:
“c-users-user-appdata-local” is not a valid windows path !

I dont know how your copy of windows is even working with the hyphens " - "in the path.

Sorry, I didnt do copy-paste… when I put " -" I mean " \ "

pert:
Which of the downloads are you using: “Windows Installer”, or “Windows ZIP file for non admin install”?
The first time you open the Arduino IDE if that folder doesn’t exist it’s supposed to create it. However, if something goes wrong before then it won’t get that far. If it’s not able to create that folder, due to permissions that would also cause the IDE to not start.

I installed “windows installer”. Try the second one?

If you don't see the folders it is usually because you did not follow all the steps to view HIDDEN folders.

ballscrewbob: If you don't see the folders it is usually because you did not follow all the steps to view HIDDEN folders.

I can see hiden folders

oohh270: I installed "windows installer". Try the second one?

Yes, give it a try.

pert: Yes, give it a try.

Still the same :(