RECENTLY getting ptoblems such as "Arduino IDE won't start"

Try creating a folder named portable under the Arduino IDE installation folder and then start the Arduino IDE.

pert: Try creating a folder named portable under the Arduino IDE installation folder and then start the Arduino IDE.

Still the same :( :(

Up

Typing UP to try bump a post has ZERO practical use in this forum

ballscrewbob:
Typing UP to try bump a post has ZERO practical use in this forum

Sure it does, it brings it back to the top of the first page, just like a bump on any forum. I’m guessing most people browsing the forum never look past the first page of any section and when I used to browse the forum I never even scrolled down to the bottom of the first page. So once a post hits page 2 without getting a solution or generating an ongoing conversation the chances of help being provided get pretty slim. Jumping back up to the top could definitely lead to more views.

The forum rules say:

Don’t bump!

Don’t bump your thread after an hour. Because of the different time-zones the person who knows the answer may be asleep, or away for the day. Maybe after a couple of days.

I’m not crazy about zero-information bumps but if the rules say you can do it after a couple of days I guess it’s fine. It would be nice the rules were more clear. Is only one bump allowed, or can you bump every two days forever?

I certainly sympathize with oohh270 but I’m at a loss as to how to fix this issue.

oohh270, you also have the option of using the Arduino Web Editor:
https://create.arduino.cc/editor

Sorry pert youre "forum rule" bit was what I meant to imply my bad.

I think the OP's issue may lie a little deeper and am not sure that even CREATE would be practical at this point but its worth a shot.

Had the same issues as the OP. I'm running a Dell M7510 with an Nvidia M2000M and the 4K display. I'm also using a 2nd 4K monitor. I'm always running into goofy issues like this. Here's my solution - hover over the active arduino task bar icon - right click on the preview - select "maximize" - resize the IDE window - exit arduino - restart arduino Pretty clunky, but it seems to work...

aaguinaga: Hi. I´ fixed it on my system. If you changed paths of your old sketches it´ll crash. I´m using Windows 10 with old Arduino´s version 15 and I swaped My Documents from E:/ to D:/. The program tries to locate old files to launch and then it crashes.

You must change paths on your C:\Users\"USER"\AppData\Local\Arduino15\preferences.txt

Put back your sketches on old location too.

This steps solved my problem here.

I dons Speak English but this Works for me!!! thanks

Hope you got your problem fixed, but I had the same problem and tried reloading and upgrading the java and nothing seemed to work. Then I loaded the Arduino file directly on my desktop and it opened fine. It still is kind of a mystery as to why, but it worked. So who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth. If anybody else has this problem they might want to try this.

davidcrist: Had the same issues as the OP. I'm running a Dell M7510 with an Nvidia M2000M and the 4K display. I'm also using a 2nd 4K monitor. I'm always running into goofy issues like this. Here's my solution - hover over the active arduino task bar icon - right click on the preview - select "maximize" - resize the IDE window - exit arduino - restart arduino Pretty clunky, but it seems to work...

Thanks dude I did that and now it does work. But why does this work I mean it is just weird

Sentrinity: Thanks dude I did that and now it does work. But why does this work I mean it is just weird

davidcrist: Had the same issues as the OP. I'm running a Dell M7510 with an Nvidia M2000M and the 4K display. I'm also using a 2nd 4K monitor. I'm always running into goofy issues like this. Here's my solution - hover over the active arduino task bar icon - right click on the preview - select "maximize" - resize the IDE window - exit arduino - restart arduino Pretty clunky, but it seems to work...

It works for me as well. Thanks for the solution!

Hey there BMatrix,

I hope you got everything working by now but I just experienced the exact same problem.

In my case, I had recently added an outdated hardware patch to my Arduino/Hardware folder because I was following RepRap instructions on how to connect a RepRapDiscount 2004 Smart controller to a Rambo controller board.

I had the IDE running when I placed the folder containing the outdated patch and the IDE continued to run successfully until I finished what I was doing and closed it. Then it wouldn't open any more.

I threw away the folder I had placed in hardware and now it's fine. Hope that helps.

Hello, Earlier this week I rolled my installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.7 to the latest version - 1.8.10. I went to install some 3rd party boards that I use and got an error loading the .json packages.

I tried a lot of things to fix the issue, but couldn't get the error to clear up, until I rolled back to 1.8.7. I have posted the error and associated log with the hope somebody can help figure out why I'm getting the error.

Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/libraries/library_index.json
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/libraries/library_index.json
    at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.ui.LibraryManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$2(LibraryManagerUI.java:207)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/libraries/library_index.json
    at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:144)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:125)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.JsonDownloader.download(JsonDownloader.java:49)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.GZippedJsonDownloader.download(GZippedJsonDownloader.java:66)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.LibraryInstaller.updateIndex(LibraryInstaller.java:84)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.ui.LibraryManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$2(LibraryManagerUI.java:203)
    ... 1 more
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1946)
    at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:316)
    at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:310)
    at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1639)
    at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:223)
    at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:1037)
    at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:965)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1064)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1367)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1395)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1379)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:559)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:185)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.connect(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:162)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.HttpConnectionManager.makeConnection(HttpConnectionManager.java:150)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.HttpConnectionManager.makeConnection(HttpConnectionManager.java:106)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloaderCache.updateCacheInfo(FileDownloaderCache.java:184)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloaderCache.getFileCached(FileDownloaderCache.java:153)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloader.downloadFile(FileDownloader.java:167)
    at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloader.download(FileDownloader.java:129)
    at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:142)
    ... 6 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:397)
    at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:302)
    at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:262)
    at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:324)
    at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:229)
    at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:124)
    at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1621)
    ... 23 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
    at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126)
    at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:280)
    at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:392)
    ... 29 more

I was able to back track and see the error in Rev 1.8.10, 1.8.9, and 1.8.8, but not 1.8.7. It is worth noting that this desktop [u]is[/u] behind a highly secure corporate firewall, although, if the firewall was an issue, I would have expected the error to have been seen long ago, not something that suddenly pops up between software revisions without some sort of cause-to-effect change, to which there are none noted in the revision notes regarding Java.

There were some very significant changes in how the downloading of the .json files are handled recently, but they were intended to make these problems less, rather than more likely.

If you want to try using the newer IDE versions again, try this:

• In the Arduino IDE, click the link on the line following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file. This will open the Arduino15 (or similar name depending on OS) folder.
  • Delete all files under the Arduino15 folder except for preferences.txt. Please be very careful when deleting things from your computer. When in doubt, back up!
  • Restart the Arduino IDE

Unfortunately, deleting the files mentioned did not solve the issue. That said, I don't currently see anything in this folder, with the exception of the logs folder, and the preferences.txt config file.

Any other ideas?

Hi

Unable to open the IDE on Catalina without it crashing, (right click -> open) the IDE opens up and then it closes itself afterwards.

Tried the beta version and the same thing happens. Is there a fix?

Please do this:

• Open your Applications folder.
  • Open Utilities.
  • Double-click on “Terminal”.
  • Type
open Arduino
  • Press Enter
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the terminal window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Press Command + a. This will select all the text in the terminal window.
  • Press Command + c. This will copy the selected text to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Command + v. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the “Post” button.

Hopefully that will give us some information we can use to help you with the problem.

I was able to get a crash report but not in terminal as nothing appeared there, here is some of the crash report:

Process:               Arduino [30488]
Path:                  /Applications/Arduino-2.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino
Identifier:            cc.arduino.Arduino
Version:               1.8.12 (1.8.12)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Arduino [30488]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-03-05 11:12:48.664 +0000
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     3.0 (14Y908)
Anonymous UUID:        9A1F2793-8099-2911-E3E8-5AFDAC4A2637

Sleep/Wake UUID:       0F6A740D-D3CD-4D72-A371-04EBBA38ED4D

Time Awake Since Boot: 100000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       1800 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        22  Java: Java2D Queue Flusher

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
-[NSOpenGLContext setView:] must be called from the main thread.

There's a lot more that follows in the crash report about various threads. Should I paste all of that too? Thanks

ok I opened it from terminal once more and it hasn't crashed this time. Will see how it goes.

It sounds similar to this bug: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/9828 I'm not very knowledgeable about macOS, but the crash report you posted looks similar to the other crash reports we have been getting that are related to using multiple monitors: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/9764

We also had a report of this error happening when there is a switch between the integrated and the "high performance" graphics processors, which can happen automatically as a power saving measure: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043

These bugs are related to the switch to OpenJDK, which happened in Arduino IDE 1.8.11. So the workaround would be to use Arduino IDE 1.8.10, which you can download here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases