recognizing a key stroke without serial monitor

Hi I have possibly a simple question (I'm new sorry)

so how if I press any key on my keyboard without needing the serial monitor is there any way for the Arduino to for example turn on an LED?

AristofCannae:
Hi I have possibly a simple question (I'm new sorry)

so how if I press any key on my keyboard without needing the serial monitor is there any way for the Arduino to for example turn on an LED?

I assume that your keyboard is connected to a PC; if not, please let us know.

Else, have you considered how your computer will know that the keystrokes have to go to the Arduino (serial port) and not to the application that currently is running in the foreground?

I think that we need some more details as to the 'why'. What's against Serial Monitor? The fact that you have to start the IDE? If so, there are dedicated terminal programs.

so I want to make a prank on my friend when they type into their computer after they finish typing a word (this would be recognized by the fact that a space would be used) I want to have the Arduino write some text like "hey there man how you doin?

so because of the fact that I don't want them to have to be connected to Arduino and so from what I understand the serial monitor cannot be connected I wanted to know if there was a way to basically ignore the serial monitor and receive and the Arduino just know if something is typed.

So you mean this person is typing in something in some random program, and you want the Arduino to get those key strokes?

Then at first you'll have to install some kind of keylogger on that PC, which intercepts all the keystrokes, and which then can transmit it to your Arduino.

But if you want something to pop up on the screen of the PC, it makes more sense to let that keylogger take care of that. I don't see a role for an Arduino in that situation.

Do note that keyloggers are generally considered malware, and you would have to secretly install this on someone else's PC. In most countries this will be considered a crime.