Recommend a digital pot?

Hello,

I use to buy the Motorola MCP42050 which is a dual 50k digital pot with I2C interface, but it seems like that chip isn't in wide circulation anymore as I can't find them at the price break I use to get them at. Not even close ...

So I'm wondering if anyone out there who is into digital pots might know which chip / manufacturer / vendor is the current favorite in this realm?

Thank you,

Mike Sims

What price point do you need them at? The MCP42050 seems pretty readily available to me? Digikey has them at like a buck-fifty a pop at 100+ qty.

What are the requirements, other than 50k and I2C interface?

EasyGoing1: Hello,

I use to buy the Motorola MCP42050 which is a dual 50k digital pot with I2C interface, but it seems like that chip isn't in wide circulation anymore as I can't find them at the price break I use to get them at. Not even close ...

So I'm wondering if anyone out there who is into digital pots might know which chip / manufacturer / vendor is the current favorite in this realm?

Thank you,

Mike Sims

You don't understand how to source parts!

"current favorite"? How is that of any use? Whose favorite? Why should that be useful to you?

You have a set of requirements, and on top of that a wish list of desirable extra features perhaps.

Probably requirements include min number of steps, supply voltage, package size.

So you have to search from available parts with those criteria. All the major electronics stockists have search tools on their websites to help with this. You'll be able to exclude "not for new designs" parts so you don't end up picking an end-of-life device.

Step 1: Identify the hard requirements Step 2: Figure out the relative importance of the "good to have" features (which will always include price!).

Step 3: go searching, find some candidates and evaluate them. Popular devices tend to have lower prices so you are likely to pick a popular part unless your requirements are unusual.