Recommend a wire to wire connector?

Hi, I am working on a prototype model which has electronics inside - it is a tight enclosure but I can fit the electronics in (a MCU and some modules) so long as I wire them point to point.

The model has a couple of parts and the electronics are distributed in two halves - I would like a solution where I can detach some hookup wires between the modules when necessary, otherwise I have to desolder things to take the model apart - perhaps something like the JST terminals popular for LiPo cells - ideally it needs to be something I can assemble by hand and something with a basic clamp so it won't just slip apart

thanks in advance! :)

SineHacker: perhaps something like the JST terminals popular for LiPo cells - ideally it needs to be something I can assemble by hand and something with a basic clamp so it won't just slip apart

Something like these: polarized-connector-housing

The 'crimp pins' are a bit small, but you can grip 'em onto wires with small pliers and solder them if you are careful.

They also do the Futaba J male & female connectors on this page

Yours, TonyWilk

Great thanks Tony, I use Hobbytronics from time to time for Teensy boards - I will give these a go

Aidan

How many wires?

Sometimes I just use the typical ribbon cable with female ends and add a "pin strip" which is male-male.

So first I make a male end like this:

I tape that around with 2 layers of "Scotch" type tape.

Then equal numbers of female-end wires on the mating end (Taped together separately).

Then assemble and tape IT together. It's not too hard to untape the outer part to disassemble the "connector".

Not high grade but works fine for me for things that are moved and vibrated.

Pardon all the sextalk :o

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply - there are 7 wires. I do this quite often as well, my only concern is in this case I have a cylindrical model with two end pieces, the end pieces hold electronics and they both screw on around a central rod (despite it being a pain in the ass, I'm quite proud of this, 3d printed end pieces with a M12 thread in the middle, and an acrylic rod which I cut an M12 thread either end with a lathe. The 3D end pieces slot into CNC'd iroka outer ends that I spent about 2 days buffing!). At the moment I counter turn a few times before screwing it together to take the strain off the wires, but it is a fiddle - the whole thing needs a rethink to be honest

SineHacker: Hi Terry, thanks for the reply - there are 7 wires. I do this quite often as well, my only concern is in this case I have a cylindrical model with two end pieces, the end pieces hold electronics and they both screw on around a central rod (despite it being a pain in the ass, I'm quite proud of this, 3d printed end pieces with a M12 thread in the middle, and an acrylic rod which I cut an M12 thread either end with a lathe. The 3D end pieces slot into CNC'd iroka outer ends that I spent about 2 days buffing!). At the moment I counter turn a few times before screwing it together to take the strain off the wires, but it is a fiddle - the whole thing needs a rethink to be honest

Interesting response that would be greatly helped by some illustrating photographs

I can't share much because of the nature of the project, not sinister capitalism or anything, but it is research so I can't discuss the form or function too much right now - I'm sure you understand :) It's a sensory toy that plays lights and sounds. Here's a pic of the insides - you can see my plight - or foolishness perhaps

|375x500