Recommend some Good PRINTED books for a Noob, Plz.

Little Background Info first. I am extremely hands on and I prefer to learn through discovery rather than asking a million questions. I just learned about Arduino a couple weeks ago through MAKE magazine. I bought a 'real' (made in italy) UNO and a couple chinese knockoffs so If I blow one up while learning, its not a big deal.

I have done heavy car customization for years, and 12v work and welding are some of my primary skills. For instance, the last thing I created was an R/C 12v winch connected to a series of trusses that will lift 3,000lbs from any angle. I can also socket and reprogram eproms for car computers. (The ICS used for this are 256-512K with the same number of pins as the arduino 168/328 but they are double the width) Although I can desolder a chip from the board and resolder it and use a program such as TunerPro to edit values or view them as hex, I don't really understand how it works, I just know how to do it.

When I was about 12 years old (16ish years ago) I used to make games similar to ZORK with Basic, and USED to be ( approx 9 years ago) fairly proficient with MatLab and mechanical desktop.

My areas of extreme weakness are understanding the exact difference between ANALOG and DIGITAL signals(basically how you determine if a signal is Analog or Digital), everything running at 5v (though i am quickly learning much of this), ICs, and the actual PROGRAMMING of the arduino is my Achilles heel.

I have been browsing the forum as well as the Learning/Reference/Hardware tabs of the main page, but I am a little bit "old school" when it comes to reading from a monitor vs reading from the printed page.

The following are the books I have purchased in the last couple of weeks, as well as my opinion of them. I am hoping someone who is more knowledgeable than me can take the background info I have provided, as well as the list of books i am about to provide and recommend some GOOD books to continue learning. I have found that many of the books are either far beyond my level of understanding, or so basic as to be mostly not very helpful, tho some have been very great.

Books.

1. Getting Started With Arduino - Massimo Banzi

This book was a very basic primer. It has been quite helpful in understanding the basics, but its a super quick read and was mostly a refresher. My biggest problem with it was that MOST of the projects in it are easy enough to create without a need for an arduino at all, just a basic knowledge of circuits. Still, it was a fantastic introduction to a lot of the basic code used by arduino.

1. MAKE: Electronics - Charles Platt

This book is great, though it doesn't really have much to do with arduino, it has still been an amazing primer as far as working at a lower voltage than 12v and simple ICs (555timers)

1. 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius - Simon Monk

I was a bit disappointed with this one. Its still mostly controlling LEDs, and a lot of the code is not fully explained in detail as to WHY certain lines are necessary. Also I could build every project in this book and be no closer to being an Evil Genius :smiley:

1. An Embedded Software Primer - David E Simon
    This book deals with ICs. I have not made it very far into it, though it seems a wealth of information. Its more something that I need to learn for future projects as opposed to creating basic stuff with arduino.

So what kind of books am I looking for? First, I would LOVE a book on RC control. After searching the forum and reading threads I see people using things like 433mhz signals. I have found that I can buy R/C cars with what seems to be "standard" 49 or 27mhz signals for $10 (and that includes batteries!) Unfortunately the boards inside them are double sided with through hole on one side and SMD stuff on the other, which makes it much harder for me to take apart/learn about them :cry:

Second, I would LOVE a book on just arduino code. Something similar to the Reference and Learning tabs on the main page, but in a printed form so I dont have to expand each definition and stare at my computer for hours on end. I foresee having to do that with actual programming, and I'd rather avoid it until its necessary.

So any recommendations for printed word, even if it doesn't fall into one of the two previous categories would be amazing. I tried to provide enough of my background so that if those of you with a real solid background in electronics/programming recognize any holes that also need to be filled (thats what she said!) in my knowledge, I will naturally defer to your expertise.

Thank you for any and all suggestions. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/files/ASKManualRev4.pdf
Can be printed, just select the chapters you want to read.

Awesome link, thank you very much! I would still like some printed ideas as well ( when you factor in the cost of a used book on amazon vs the cost of ink cartridges, it can actually be a bit cheaper!)