Recommend which arduino board to use please !

Hi,

I am currently in a project of building a robotic arm and I am using 2 dynamixel motor RX-64. My current concern is which arduino board should I use ?

Since RX-64 is a servo motor, I would like to control both motors' speed via pwm and also I requires a joystick to control the motion of the robotic arm.

Sorry for such low level question as I am relatively new to mechatronics.

Thank you! Vera

Welcome....

A quick look at the RX-64 User's Manual, shows that comms with that device requires a packet of a particular structure to control it. Looks like it's not a simple servo. I think you may need to search for a library that produces those packets, else you may have to create them yourself.

edit.... and it looks like they network to the controller via RS-485. I'm not sure if Arduinos support that, although I suppose there's some gizmo that will allow it? Others will need to answer that.

The UNO is the best board to start with.

How big is this robot? An UNO board is probably too large to fit where you want it. There's lots of smaller variants, such as the Micro and Nano. These are good because they have a USB connection for programming. The even smaller ones like the Mini and Pro Mini don't have USB so they need an FTDI to program them.

MorganS: The UNO is the best board to start with.

How big is this robot? An UNO board is probably too large to fit where you want it. There's lots of smaller variants, such as the Micro and Nano. These are good because they have a USB connection for programming. The even smaller ones like the Mini and Pro Mini don't have USB so they need an FTDI to program them.

I am building a robotic arm of about 80 cm in length. Does UNO support dynamixel RX-64?

The purpose of the robot is to be able to rotate at least 180 degrees with about 5-6Nm of stall torque. Would it be advisable if I use other basic servo motor ? (prefer servo as it is easier to config speed with pwm)

Perhaps Micro or Nano can be a good choice for my application. May I know how does USB connection work for programming? (do you mean by simply plugging USB port to my laptop and program the board from there on?)

VeraGene: Does UNO support dynamixel RX-64?

As I said above, that might be a bit complicated, although I have no experience: I'm just going off the manual which Google found for me. You'll need to search the forum and the world at large to see if there are any libraries to make up those packets. Also looks as if you would need to add some RS-485 capability, perhaps with a shield like this or similar. Shields typically have an Uno footprint.

May I know how does USB connection work for programming? (do you mean by simply plugging USB port to my laptop and program the board from there on?)

Yep you just install the IDE.

You could start with the below uno. I just got one and it seems to work well. The bottom link may have useful info about your servo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATmega328P-CH340G-UNO-R3-Board-USB-Cable-7-Gilded-Pin-for-Arduino-DIY-DX-/261653306720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cebc09d60

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=dynamixel&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl