Recommendation for sensors

I am working on a way to monitor the status of an air-cooled chiller. Occasionally the chiller shuts itself off due to a diagnostic error, and I'd like to alerted when this happens. I think I should be able to monitor vibration and/or noise levels to detect when the chiller is not running. The chiller is outside, so I need sensors that are either weather proof or that I can mount in a project box. I plan to run wires about 15' from the sensors to an Arduino MKR1000 board that is indoors.

Anyone have experience with or recommendations for sensors for this type of project?

A sensitive shake switch is probably the easiest way to monitor vibrations.

Leads more than a few tens of cm long generally don’t work with complex sensors like accelerometers. The usual approach with those is to mount a small MCU (like an Arduino Pro Mini) very close to the sensor, which then sends on/off signals over long wires (or wirelessly) to a base station…

A current sensor on the motor wires may be another option.

jremington:
A sensitive shake switch is probably the easiest way to monitor vibrations.

Leads more than a few tens of cm long generally don't work with complex sensors like accelerometers. The usual approach with those is to mount a small MCU (like an Arduino Pro Mini) very close to the sensor, which then sends on/off signals over long wires (or wirelessly) to a base station..

Interesting, thanks for the idea

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.