Recommendations for Waterproofing, clear dippable potting compound

I would be interested in hearing suggestions for a clear, waterproof, and preferably dippable potting compound to protect a blinkenlights widget in a harsh environment. It operates off of 12 volts, no high voltage, but it's going to be used at the beach where the salty air is hell on electronics. Anything unprotected corrodes in just a few weeks. It has to be clear for the LEDs to shine through.

RTV Silicon caulk is not suitable because it is milky/cloudy. I have used Krylon clear plastic spray in an aerosol can with a fair degree of success, giving it multiple coats, but it's a bit thin and blowing sand ends up scraping it off. I've also tried clear nail polish but after a couple of months in the sun it starts to peel. I've also used clear 2-part epoxy in the twin syringes but it's a bit yellowish and gets even more so with age. There are all kinds of lacquers, epoxies, and polyurethanes and other such substances out there, including clear plasti-dip spray. Too many to try without some guidance. I'm wondering what others have used and found to be good, readily available, and not overly expensive. The lights are small, and the most convenient way to apply it would be to dip them.

DrWizard:
I would be interested in hearing suggestions for a clear, waterproof, and preferably dippable potting compound to protect a blinkenlights widget in a harsh environment. It operates off of 12 volts, no high voltage, but it's going to be used at the beach where the salty air is hell on electronics. Anything unprotected corrodes in just a few weeks. It has to be clear for the LEDs to shine through.

RTV Silicon caulk is not suitable because it is milky/cloudy. I have used Krylon clear plastic spray in an aerosol can with a fair degree of success, giving it multiple coats, but it's a bit thin and blowing sand ends up scraping it off. I've also tried clear nail polish but after a couple of months in the sun it starts to peel. I've also used clear 2-part epoxy in the twin syringes but it's a bit yellowish and gets even more so with age. There are all kinds of lacquers, epoxies, and polyurethanes and other such substances out there, including clear plasti-dip spray. Too many to try without some guidance. I'm wondering what others have used and found to be good, readily available, and not overly expensive. The lights are small, and the most convenient way to apply it would be to dip them.

I think you are having a hard time finding the right stuff because you aren't looking for the right name. What you are looking for is not potting compound, it is called conformal coating and there are literally thousands of products intended for this use. I have linked to the wikipedia article to give you an idea of exactly what conformal coating is. It is intended to protect the circuit board from harsh environments.

Aside from the “professional electronics products” from the likes of http://www.miller-stephenson.com/protectiveconformal-coatings/
you might check out or ask at smooth-on, who are generally pretty maker-friendly and have explored a lot of applications for the casting products they sell. Eg: http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1276/index.html

Conformal coat is what you want.
Mouser carries it, spray & cans.
http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Chemicals/_/N-wp63?Keyword=conformal+coat&FS=True
Read the data sheets to see which are considered dippable.

Has anyone worked with a particular brand that they can recommend? Or recommend that I avoid?