Recommended battery?

I'm looking to deploy a sensor for an undetermined amount of time. I rather not want to monitor the battery level continuously and having to replace it, so I'm looking for a way to power it for a long time (preferably 1 year or more).

My sensor is active only for about 1 minute a day, gathering some data and then going into sleep mode again. With a rechargeable 2Ah LiPo battery it so far has managed to survive for almost 3 months but I doubt I can squeeze much more than maybe a few extra weeks out of it. The peak current is around 800mAh. Space isn't much of an issue as long as it isn't absolutely humongous (e.g. D cell is still fine)

Based on this information, what kind of battery would be most suited?

For that sort of usage it may be worth considering a decent primary battery - EverReady or Duracell alkalines are very good , or primariry lithiums.

Allan

allanhurst:
For that sort of usage it may be worth considering a decent primary battery - EverReady or Duracell alkalines are very good , or primariry lithiums.

Allan

What do you think of LiSOCl2 cells? I heard good things about them, but I'm worried about them not handling the peak currents so well (which is rated around 200 to 400mA for many of them, eventhough my device can go up to 800mA at least)

How long does this peak last? if only a few mS a largish capacitor ( 1000's of uF) may help.

If longer the alkaline cells should be ok. Look at the cell specs.

Allan

allanhurst:
How long does this peak last? if only a few mS a largish capacitor ( 1000's of uF) may help.

If longer the alkaline cells should be ok. Look at the cell specs.

Allan

I'm not 100% how long the peaks last for, but they should be short as they come from an U260 cellular module.

I'll look into capacitors some more, thanks.

Well if your project is placed outdoors then you can use a small solar cell and a 14500(AA size) LiFePO4 cell. This setup should last you for several years.

Otherwise if it's not then you can consider a 26650 Li-ion cell with 5.5Ah. They are almost the size of a C cell but with better voltage.

Noobian:
Well if your project is placed outdoors then you can use a small solar cell and a 14500(AA size) LiFePO4 cell. This setup should last you for several years.

Otherwise if it's not then you can consider a 26650 Li-ion cell with 5.5Ah. They are almost the size of a C cell but with better voltage.

The project is outdoors but for various reasons a solar cell isn't an option, so it must rely solely on a battery. I looked into your second suggestion and it seems really interesting. Decent lifespan, and appears to be able to handle the peak currents of my cellular module.

I was thinking of something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soshine-5500mAh-Protected-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B01JUQV89Q. I'm just worried how long it's going to last me for. I know with the LiSOCl2 D cell I have at home it should hold out for many years.

Vitesze:
I'm just worried how long it's going to last me for. I know with the LiSOCl2 D cell I have at home it should hold out for many years.

Well, what's the capacity of that LiSOCl2 D cell you have at home?.

26650 cell is actually slimmer than a D cell and actually has the girth of a C ell. Soshine is actually a good brand and the cells they have usually offer more than 90-93% of the advertised capacity.

If your current battery provides 3+ months of run time, is there anything wrong with putting 4 of them in parallel to get a year?

Noobian:
Well, what's the capacity of that LiSOCl2 D cell you have at home?.

26650 cell is actually slimmer than a D cell and actually has the girth of a C ell. Soshine is actually a good brand and the cells they have usually offer more than 90-93% of the advertised capacity.

It should have 19Ah capacity, at 3.6V.

vinceherman:
If your current battery provides 3+ months of run time, is there anything wrong with putting 4 of them in parallel to get a year?

Thought about that too; thing is, I'm sort of hoping to get a bit more out of it than just 1 year (so want to explore other options). If all else fails 4 batteries could suffice though

Vitesze:
My sensor is active only for about 1 minute a day, gathering some data and then going into sleep mode again. With a rechargeable 2Ah LiPo battery it so far has managed to survive for almost 3 months but I doubt I can squeeze much more than maybe a few extra weeks out of it. The peak current is around 800mAh.

Something is wrong here. I am running an ESP8266, quite a power hog, that takes 6seconds to connect to the Wifi alone and takes hourly readings on a 18650 LiPo. It runs for about 5 month in that setup.

You are wasting power somewhere, maybe in the standby mode or the voltage regulation. Describe your hardware and what you do to sleep.

Vitesze:
It should have 19Ah capacity, at 3.6V.

With 19Ah you have more than 9 times the capacity of the 2Ah cell you're currently using. So if you get 3 months from a 2Ah cell that means you will get more than 2 years life with this 19Ah cell.

But yeah they have a max 400mA pulse discharge current limit. I took a look at the datasheet and saw that there is a 13Ah model that can deliver 4A pulse discharge current and 2A Max continuous discharge current. I guess with 13Ah you can easily get at least 1.5 year runtime.

https://www.powertechsystems.eu/home/products/primary-cells-lithium-thionyl-chloride-li-socl2/