Recommended range for a musical insturment?

I am making a basic musical instrument that has a potentiometer defining pitch "base" and 3 buttons multiplying the base to have the played pitch. This gives me access to 3 octaves, but I do not know what I should use for the range of the first octave... Right now, it is 262-524, which is more or less C4 to C5, then C5-C6 and C6-C7. Lacking experience in music, I do not know what would be considered a good range for a musical instrument. Any advice?

Drop it to C3 - C6. Or even G2 - G5. That would be somewhat a human voice range. G2 being a bass singer lower note (more seldom heard in pop music) and G5 a choir soprano top note (again, more seldom heard in pop music). No matter what timbre (waveform) you aim to use, the listener likes to (subconciously) compare instrument pitches to human voice pitches. Instruments outside the human voice pitches, like the double bass and the piccolo, usually play together with other instruments to create a mixed ensemble or orchestra timbre. Despite that, a double bass or a tuba is a marvelous solo instrument, whereas a piccolo or a piccolo recorder is only annoying (like the solo concerto by Vivaldi).

Johan_Ha:
Drop it to C3 - C6. Or even G2 - G5. That would be somewhat a human voice range. G2 being a bass singer lower note (more seldom heard in pop music) and G5 a choir soprano top note (again, more seldom heard in pop music). No matter what timbre (waveform) you aim to use, the listener likes to (subconciously) compare instrument pitches to human voice pitches. Instruments outside the human voice pitches, like the double bass and the piccolo, usually play together with other instruments to create a mixed ensemble or orchestra timbre. Despite that, a double bass or a tuba is a marvelous solo instrument, whereas a piccolo or a piccolo recorder is only annoying (like the solo concerto by Vivaldi).

Did a quick google search about said concerto, and yeah, I see what you mean. Gonna try this range. It was buggy in higher pitches anyway. Right now, I can only use arduino’s tone() square waveform with a piezo speaker so higher pitches were kind of drilling. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Ok, quick tests with C3-C6 really proves your point.

I have an ESP8266 Thing Dev, which I haven't touched yet. It has a 10 bit DA pin, which seems interesting. As I understand, it can output any wave form. Well, Music CD is 16 bit and this would be 10 bit. And I have no idea about the output sample frequency, but anyway.