Record skydive code

Hello, I am working on a high altitude record skydive redbullstratos.com and I bought an Arduino Duemilanove board. It will be hooked up to an accelerometer and I need it to receive 2 inputs 1 from x and 1 from the y axis and then if it receives that signal for 5 continuous seconds and only if it is a continuous 5 seconds. Then send 1 or 2 signals out. Is this possible and is there someone I can hire to write this program. I am out of options and time.

Thank you in advance for any help, Luke Aikins Phone 253-686-1247 Fax 253-590-0264 lukexaos@mac.com

Is this possible

Yes

is there someone I can hire to write this program

Probably not.

It would be relatively simple, just search around and I'm sure you will find plenty of examples for accelerometers and data collection.

Mowcius

Five seconds is a very long time for an accelerometer to record the same value.

I'm not sure that, laying on a table, the signal is that steady.

I'm pretty sure that holding it steady in your hand for that long will not be possible.

I'm almost certain that getting it to hold still while you jump out of an airplane will be impossible.

If it were to be possible, how would you want the Arduino to "send a signal"? Flash a couple of LEDs like semaphore flags? Who or what is going to receive the signal?

Is it possible for you to provide more details on what it is the Arduino is supposed to do?

would measuring density possibly work?

When the accelerometer registers a value of more then 5 g's it does not matter how much more then 5 g's for the continuous 5 seconds I need the Arduino to trigger a relay. The relay will close an electrical circuit that will release a drouge.

Luke Aikins 253-686-1247 Shelton WA

What happens if the Arduino decides that it doesn’t like the cold, and fails to fire the drogue?

When you jump out of a (perfectly good) airplane, gravity sucks. But, only at the rate of 1G. How will you exceed 5Gs?

Hey, I just noticed that you're from Shelton. When you jump, don't hit Snarl's place.

in a spin

OK. I can see that. I still wouldn't trust the Arduino to operate under those conditions, if my life depended on it functioning flawlessly.

I like the little things, and support all kinds of non-life-support uses. This use is one that I can't support, though.

Good luck with the jump.

Sounds like an awesome project, but remember an accelerometer can only measure in it's own coordinate system.

I think in flight things would be moving around, there would be gravity, and it souonds like centripetal forces too.

Unless you are combining the X Y Z forces into one, I think it'd be hard to have a value in any one axis long enoough for your purposes.

Now you are getting into the realm of adding gyros and Kalmann filters...