Recording/Logging temp from RTD probes to Computer-How??

Hello,

I'm struggling to understand how I should best go about connecting my arduino to multiple RTD temperatures, and then have this data recorded and saved for my records (preferably in excel or some easy to transfer document)

What I have are:

-9 100 ohm RTD temperature probes -a large panel in which the probes connect -on the outside of the panel, a screen that displays the temperature in the 9 probes -a flash drive that plugs into the panel and collects data automatically -arduino uno -computer with Ubunto (no internet)

I have seen multiple RTD tutorials in which temperature is monitored under very specific set up instructions, which of course makes the procedure very easy if you have all the parts. but my set up is so unique, I fail to understand how to make these connections.

If possible, I'd like to connect the probes input to my computer and be able to record data automatically. It doesn't have to be pretty or fancy, it doesn't need internet. It just needs to take input from these 9 probes, and record them in a file on my computer .

My arduino knowledge is poor in that, of course I can construct something with every single part available to me with detailed instructions, but without that I tend to make useless jumbles of wire and parts.

If someone could please advise to me a method on which I can set this up, with pictures, part numbers/descriptions and reasons I'd greatly appreciate the help. I have provided images that may help visualize what I have at hand. I am able to order some parts as needed, but I want to keep this simple and cheap.

Please let me know what other information I could provide, and thank you for your help.

Who makes the panel? What model is it?

If you have a flash drive collecting data, what do you need the Arduino for? What's the issue with simply plugging the flash drive into your Ubuntu machine periodically and pulling the data off it?

You won't have Excel on Ubuntu?

There are various options.

The simplest may be to get the Arduino to Serial.print() the data in CSV format and send it to a Terminal program on your PC - such as PuTTY or Minicom which can be set to save the incoming data to a text file. Most (ALL?) spreadsheet programs can read data from a CSV file

Another possibility is to write a program to collect the data from the Arduino and save it to a file. This Python - Arduino demo may help get you started. of course you can use any PC programming language. Writing a program will probably be essential if you want the PC to control the Arduino rather than just receive data.

If you are using the LibreOffice spreadsheet I believe there is an extension for it that allows it to receive data over a serial port - but I have never tried it.

...R

sjjohnson19977: -9 100 ohm RTD temperature probes -a large panel in which the probes connect -on the outside of the panel, a screen that displays the temperature in the 9 probes -a flash drive that plugs into the panel and collects data automatically -arduino uno -computer with Ubunto (no internet)

If possible, I'd like to connect the probes input to my computer and be able to record data automatically. It doesn't have to be pretty or fancy, it doesn't need internet. It just needs to take input from these 9 probes, and record them in a file on my computer .

You haven't really identified your problem, or the shortcomings of the gear you already have. It could be that you want live recording and the equipment simply won't do that, or that you just want Arduino to read the existing USB port. In the case of the latter, it would surely be easier to get the PC to do that, leaving the redundant Uno to be better employed elsewhere. In the case of the former, you will be faced with dealing with the internals of panel, about which you really say nothing. I imagine the real solution there is to dispense with it anyway, connect the RTDs to Uno like everybody else round here does, and feed that data simply by serial printing directly to Excel, or a standard terminal.

I have never actually used my RTDs but there is a useful article at https://learn.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/temperature/rtd-temperature-sensing which I think would cover that many sensors on a Uno.