Recording sound at CD quality(16bit - 44.1kHz) .. is it possible?

Hello, I'm a mechanical engineering major and new to Arduino.

I'd like to record sound at CD quality(16bit - 44.1kHz) from 4 analog microphones. I'm wondering if this is possible on any of the arduino devices. (Maybe with use of audio shield or external ADC?)

Or if this is not possible, does any one know if this is possible on teensy board?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Jay

Recording 1 channel at 44.1 kHz 16 bits is definitely possible on Teensy 3.2.

There's a theoretical hack for 4 channel input/output. As far as I know, nobody's made it work yet, though it's been discussed quite a bit in a couple forum threads. Several weeks ago I built up the hardware and it's sitting right here on my desk, but so far I haven't found the time to really work on the software side of getting it going.

If the 4 channel input worked, I'd imagine the recorder could be made. I honestly don't know if any SD cards will be fast enough with single sector writes (as the Arduino SD library does). Maybe a Sandisk Ultra could do it? Maybe you'd have to use the SdFat library and maybe dig into setting for doing multi-sector writes? Maybe you'd have to prepare a pre-allocated unfragmented file, to avoid the extra overhead of occasionally writing FAT sectors while recording. Or maybe a good quality SanDisk Ultra/Extreme card could "just work" even with the inefficient single sector and FAT overhead? I don't know, but I'd be really curious to find out.....

Paul, thank you for the great answer!