Rectifier diode

Hello

I’m working on a project that has two stepper motors connected to stepstick drivers. When I was playing around with the motors (not connected to anything) I attached an LED to two leads and of course it lit up. I realized that there is a big chance that in my project I would manually move the motors at some point (not turned on) and this would generate some current. Is that correct?

I was thinking of putting a rectifier diode (pos to neg lead and neg to pos lead) on both stepper leads.
Would this prevent anything flowing back to the driver board or even the Arduino.

The motors are rated at 1+amp so I picked this to be sure: DATASHEET 6A10.

Would this work and if it does, would it protect my stuff?

Thanks!

Stepper motor drivers have inbuild back-EMF diodes. No need to add external ones.

Post the driver you're using, so we can check. Leo..

snewpers: Hello

I'm working on a project that has two stepper motors connected to stepstick drivers. When I was playing around with the motors (not connected to anything) I attached an LED to two leads and of course it lit up. I realized that there is a big chance that in my project I would manually move the motors at some point (not turned on) and this would generate some current. Is that correct?

I was thinking of putting a rectifier diode (pos to neg lead and neg to pos lead) on both stepper leads. Would this prevent anything flowing back to the driver board or even the Arduino.

Don't do this, you'll blow something up. current flows in both directions in the stepper coils, the A+/A- and B+/B- legends are for identification of coil sense only, not an indication that current flows one way!

You don't need to worry about back-driving unless you back-drive the motors a lot faster than their top speed when driven by the stepstick.

Thanks

Ah so there's nothing going past the driver board? I'm going to use this one (currently the poll A4988, but I need a higher rated driver, so drv8825 it will be).

STEPSTICK DRV8825 v1.0 DATASHEET

A motor with magnets and coils is also a generator - hence your LED’s would light if you manually turn the motor… but for use as a stepper this is irrelevant…

just use a suitable driver and it’ll be fine - various shields are available - see eg adafruit - the component you linked is just for transient suppression and should not be necessary with such a driver

regards
Allan

Spinning the motor will simply push the voltage rail up if the driver is unpowered, but your
driver is used to having supply voltage, its not a novel situation!

Thank you all for helping!

I understand now! :)