Reduce motor speed to power motor with smaller motor driver

Hello everyone,

I will explain my question further.
I have this motor and I want to use this motor driver. The max. current supported by the motor driver is 2 amps. The motor can draw a max. of 3.5 amps. Can I reduce the motor speed to reduce the current draw to approximately 1.5 amps and all will perfectly fine? Or do I have to do nothing and the motor will simply run at the maximum current the motor driver can deliver?

So basically the question is whether I can just use the motor that consumes more power than the motor driver can deliver and if not whether I can just reduce the speed to adjust the power consumption.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: .

I don't think that will work. The motor will try to draw the current it requires and if there is a heavy load on it then L298 will be overloaded. Also I suspect the stall current of the motor could be a lot higher than 3.5 amps - maybe 12 or 15 amps - and the motor will be inclined to draw that current at startup.

Ideally you need a motor driver that can provide the full stall current. Next best would be a driver that is designed withstand an overload or short circuit without damage.

...R

Okay, thanks.

I like the L298N because it would be quick to ship and there are many instructions for it. Do you think it would be worth connecting two in parallel? If not, would you have a recommendation for a suitable motor driver?

mgxzy:
If not, would you have a recommendation for a suitable motor driver?

The Pololu website has a wide range of motor drivers,

If you don't mind doing some soldering I have been using Infineon TLE5206 H-bridge ICs. They are good for 5 amps and have short circuit protection.

...R

Liking a motor driver doesn't make it fit for purpose!

Current depends on load/torque, not motor speed directly, so probably no. You need a driver capable
of handling the motor's stall current peaks and full load current continuously. The L298 or L293D aren't appropriate, a MOSFET H-bridge with 10A peak rating and able to run at the supply voltage you have in mind is the way to go.

A 24V low current version of that motor might be suitable for the L298. Its designed for that sort of application, not low voltage motors.