Reduce Width of Console?

Hi, I need to use Arduino IDE on a 1366 x 720 laptop. I cannot get the Console-display to share the screen evenly. It will not go below about850-pixels.

I have tried changing the Min-Widow width in the preferences.txt but it seems to be only for the Code window.

How can I make them both have an equal share of the screen Width? In fact, for me, the Console only needs to be about 300-Wide.

Thanks

By "console", I'm going to mean you are referring to the Serial Monitor (Tools > Serial Monitor). The console is actually the black pane at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window that shows the compiler output, etc., but since your question wouldn't really make sense, I don't think that's what you mean.

There is a bug report/feature request about this in the issue tracker:

I notice this comment:

This behavior is new with 1.8.10 (or possibly earlier).

That's pretty vague, but I interpret it to mean that this behavior did not occur in some version of the IDE before 1.8.10. If you want, you can try various previous IDE versions to see if you can track down the last version that has a smaller minimum width. You can download all the versions of the Arduino IDE from this page:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases
If you do find it, please either comment here or on IDE serial monitor minimum width too large · Issue #9633 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub, since that is some valuable information for Arduino's developers to use in the investigation of the issue.

You could also consider using a serial terminal program other than the Arduino Serial Monitor. The only issue with that is you have to remember to close the serial port in the terminal software before every upload, otherwise the upload will fail. Serial Monitor does that automatically.

pert:
By "console", I'm going to mean you are referring to the Serial Monitor (Tools > Serial Monitor).

Yup, thanks

pert:
did not occur in some version of the IDE before 1.8.10.

That's progress, I guess. :smiley:

Thanks, I think I have some older versions here. I seem to recall that I used to be able to fit them equally, but no idea of version. If I find one, I will certainly report back and to Git as well.