Reeling a long hose

Hi everyone! For my work I use a 100m long hose (compressed air). I’m tired of getting all that hose in the reel by hand. And even worse is that I will be needing 150m soon. So I decided to power the reel (with and old pneumatic impact wrench I have). But I also want to reel in the hose evenly to get the maximum meters in my reel. So I decided to make a movable fairlead. I’m going to weld a nut to that fairlead. A screw is going in that nut. And this screw is going to be turned by another pneumatic impact wrench (another old one)by means of a screw.

Here is my plan: 1/ Put an encoder in the hose reel (Encoder R) 2/ Put an encoder in the screw that moves the fair lead (Encoder S) 3/ Put a valve to control the impact wrench that moves the reel. To reel in (Valve A) (This valve is controled manualy, never by Arduino) 4/ Put a valve to control the impact wrench that moves the reel. To reel out (Valve B) (This valve is controled manualy, never by Arduino) 5/ Put a valve to control the impact wrench that moves the screw on the fairlead. To move fairlead to the right (Valve C) 5/ Put a valve to control the impact wrench that moves the screw on the fairlead. To move fairlead to the left (Valve D)

6/ When reeling in, Encoder R sends + signals. 7/ Arduino must count the signals from the encoder . When it reach a certain number send a signal to open up a valve (Valve C) for the pneumatic wrench that moves the fairlead. 8/ Another encoder in the fairlead screw (Encoder S) must close Valve A when it reached a certain number of signals. 10/ Let’s say the reel continues reeling in. When the fairlead reaches any side of the reel, the fairlead must change direction. So Arduino must stop Valve C and open D. 9/ Reeling out must be workable as well

This is going to be my first contact with Arduino. I think this is possible (well, is going to the difficult to make the programming) Any opinions? Should I forget pneumatic wrenches and move to an electric drive?? Any idea where to buy cheap and rugged encoders or linear scales (able to face rain and dirt)

Sorry for my English :sweat_smile: Thanks for all! Carlos.

Sounds overly complex. have you looked at commercial hose reel equipment for simpler ideas?

Yes, I looked for something similar. But found nothing

Carlos

I don't think you need Encoder S, for every rotation of the reel the fair lead should move X so you can do that in code although I admit that using an air wrench will not be very precise. Maybe add limit switches just in case.

A stepper motor would be a much better choice for the fair lead.

Rob

I wonder whether it might not be simpler to decide how many revolutions of the drum you want for one complete cycle of the fairleed, and move the fairlead by a cam driven via a reduction gear from the drum. It would be far easier IMO to make and probably more reliable than having all those extra sensors and air wrenches and so on. I suspect you'll a similar design used (on a much smaller scale) by those people who wind solenoids and motor armatures and so on.

Yes, I looked for something similar. But found nothing

Some industrial stuff to look at.

http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/hannay-reels-7341.html

PeterH:
I wonder whether it might not be simpler to decide how many revolutions of the drum you want for one complete cycle of the fairleed, and move the fairlead by a cam driven via a reduction gear from the drum. It would be far easier IMO to make and probably more reliable than having all those extra sensors and air wrenches and so on. I suspect you’ll a similar design used (on a much smaller scale) by those people who wind solenoids and motor armatures and so on.

Yes. That was my first aproach to the problem. But that means that I’ll be needing either a diamont screw (+nut) or a large cam. And if I change the diameter of the hose it would be useless

Carlos

Graynomad: Maybe add limit switches just in case.

A stepper motor would be a much better choice for the fair lead.

Rob

Thanks Rob! I'm putting 1 limit switch at each end.

Carlos