Relay causing me headacke

Hi,
New here, so please bear with me.

I have bought a couple of relays, for switching 230v.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5V-2-Channel-Relay-Module-Shield-For-Arduino-ARM-PIC-AVR-DSP-Electronic-10A-p-48610.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=miko_ruby&utm_campaign=Electronic-xie-uk&gclid=CLvIoPbRt70CFc_MtAodYREABw

They have the normal VCC and GND pins, which I connect to +9v and ground as expected.
Then there are the IN1 and IN2 pins for the separate relays.

Now, I would have expected to connect either of these to + in order to activate the relay.
The weird thing is though that when doing this, nothing happens.
When connecting IN1 or 2 to ground though, it switches.

What am I doing wrong??, surely not normal?

michiel

What am I doing wrong??, surely not normal?

Yes it's normal. Most of those Asian relay boards use a LOW input to a channel pin to activate the relay and a HIGH to turn off a relay channel. Unconnected inputs will also keep the channel relay off.

Thanks for swift reply.

Does this then mean that I can't activate it directly with a HIGH then? Most schematics do expect this, or am I missing something here?

you need to be using the vcc and gnd from the arduino board, not from an outside source unless you remove the jumper pin and then you use an outside power source and also the gnd from the arduino

Does this then mean that I can't activate it directly with a HIGH then?

Yes, you activate it with a LOW. Is there a problem with that? There shouldn't be.

Most schematics do expect this,

But not all. Why the problem? How you drive something in software is determined by the hardware.

OK,

Got my head round it now. Just not come across this before. Have only worked with larger relays till now and always been activated by +12 or 230.

Suppose the sellers description didn't help; quote: 2-Channel Relay interface board, Just use 5V input signal to control.

Thanks again.