Relay driver

Hi, I need to use relay drivers for my project. I know of ULN2003 and its variants, but I need something which can withstand more than 500mA. Any ideas?

Do you really have a relay that needs more than 500mA coil current? Post a link to the datasheet for the relay.

You will probably need to use discrete transistors/mosfets to get that kinda rating , especially if its more than 500ma each ch, but why so much?

I do believe the uln2083 had 500ma per channel, but I believe a total of 2.5amps for the whole device

I need that much of current because I am planning to drive the solenoid of a solenoidal valve with it.

sreedevk: Hi, I need to use relay drivers for my project. I know of ULN2003 and its variants, but I need something which can withstand more than 500mA. Any ideas?

I think you are confused about relay specs. There are two to be considered. First is the relay's coil voltage and current requirement. your ULN2003 will have more then enough current handling rating to power the relay coil, most take will under 100ma. The second spec is the relay's output contact voltage and current rating. This has to be able to support the voltage and current requirement of the load you are switching on and off with the relay. This second contact rating is independent of the coil voltage/current rating.

I have to ask, why are you using a relay to control a solenoid rather then just control the solenoid directly with a transistor or driver rated to be able to handle the voltage and current requirement of the solenoid?

Lefty

I am not driving a relay. I am using the driver to drive the solenoid directly.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/semiconductors/php/eSearch.php?FOLDER=/product/icsensor/transistorarray/tarray

Can you post a link to the solenoid details? The best solution depends on the voltage and current you need to switch.