Relay to flash LED's

Hi.

I am looking to buy an LED light strip. The overall length of the strip is 32.8 feet, but I will trim it down to 16 feet.

The strip itself is 24v (LED's are SMD2835 - daylight white 6000k) and has only the power and ground leads. I'm planning on powering it with two A23 batteries with an on/off switch.

The problem is that when it's turned on, it's always on. I need to make them flash. A friend of mine said that I need a relay, or a 555 timer, or... something else to make it flash. I have no idea how to make this happen. As I understand it, the Arduino operates on 5-12v power. So I'm not sure if the Arduino is even the appropriate solution given the 24v I need and the assumed power of the Arduino.

Will an Arduino work for this, and if so, what would be a good way to go about building something that will fit what I need it to do?

An A23 battery?

Are you serious?

I'm planning on powering it with two A23 batteries with an on/off switch.

How many times do you want it to flash before the battery is discharged? I think you could get two flashes if you are lucky.

This is the discharge rate diagram.

according to this website 33FT Flexible LED Strip Light w/ Power Supply Daylight White 6000K SMD 2835 24V | eBay
your strips take 140mA / meter although I find it hard to believe it is so little. It implies you are driving each LED at 2.33mA.
But I suppose that could be for a string of 6 in series meaning that you actually had 14mA per LED. That would make a lot more sense.

You know, I came out here with a question. I stated what I was thinking and asked for advice. I even pointed out that I have no clue what I'm doing with this. And you guys offer up snarky replies and zero help.

If you're going to be an asshole, just don't say anything. And as I've looked through this forum, you two guys really like to be just that. There's no reason to talk to people that way who are looking to help on a project. You both, obviously, have oodles of experience and time in on these types of things. If the person posing the question is wrong, or the direction isn't right, you could tell them how to go about it better, and without the glib replies.

You guys are ruining this forum and the intended purpose of allowing others to learn from those more skilled.

So, screw it. I'll leave knowing this forum isn't really worth it and won't bother with it in the future.

Bye.

You guys are ruining this forum

No we are volunteers.

So, screw it.

Seeing as your project had absoloutly nothing to do with an Arduino anyway you are way out of line asking it here in the first place.

As they say, don't slam the door on your way out.

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
An A23 battery?

Are you serious?

I’m sorry, that probably came across badly.

What I meant to say is “were you asleep during basic physics classes?”

A good demonstration of biting the hand that feeds you. Unbelievable, entitled attitude.

Grumpy_Mike:
No we are volunteers.

Mike, he wrote “ruining”, not “running” :smiley:

I'm curious about this too. Is it simply a ESP8266/WiFi enabled 12V 1 channel relay and a 24V 6A DC power source to power the LEDs and a buck converter to step down the 24V to 12V to power the relay?

I think you need to clarify what you actually want to do.

My particular concern is why you refer to 12 V as the original question has nothing whatsoever to do with 12 V and you are also specifying a 24 V power supply?