remote board

Hi,

Am just coding up my first Uno project and the final project board will be about 10 meters away from the PC.

I would like to be able to connect the two with the Arduino IDE to allow direct re programming and to also use the serial monitor for feeding back sensor info.

I believe the max distance a USB cable can do is 5 meters, which is said, can be extended using powered hubs... ??

Had thought about taking the 328s TX/RX signals out via a pair of Max232 chips and building an Atmega8U2 USB converter at the PC end ?

Any suggestions for a better method of connecting them ?

thanks

I use an "active" USB cable over 5m with no trouble, maybe two in a row would also work.

Had thought about taking the 328s TX/RX signals out via a pair of Max232 chips and building an Atmega8U2 USB converter at the PC end ?

Using a standard USB->serial cable would cut the development effort by about 10x, then you just need the MAX232 at the Arduino end.

Another option is the FTDI cables, USB->5v serial in one cable. Whether the 5v serial is good for 10m I don't know.

Rob

Graynomad: I use an "active" USB cable over 5m with no trouble, maybe two in a row would also work.

Using a standard USB->serial cable would cut the development effort by about 10x, then you just need the MAX232 at the Arduino end.

Another option is the FTDI cables, USB->5v serial in one cable. Whether the 5v serial is good for 10m I don't know.

Rob

Thanks Rob, didn't even know there was such a thing as an 'Active' usb cable.

Found this on Amazon which meets my needs exactly. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MMO5EQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01DYMHVNMG0W8885DD2E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Yep, that looks exactly like mine, just longer.

Rob