Remote controlled industrial equipment

So i'm new to arduino and coding i've been learning this for about three weeks now. I have been studying codes from youtube and the forums. I put one together to make one of my machines wireless "BT HC-05/06" what I want to know is if there is a more simple way of doing this than the route i'm going. I'm making a remote with an arduino MEGA 2560 and HC-05 Master that controls 50 relays using several modules. My machine is a 24V system the mega will not be grounded to the relays i will use external power source. The code i've put together was just to help me understand getting the arduinos to communicate. I know the single letters will not get me too far.

Masta.ino (2.4 KB)

sketch_may19a.ino (2.57 KB)

Welcome to the Arduino forum.

One thing to learn early-on in programming is: if the program works they way you want it to, leave it alone and go on to the next challenge. You could spend years modifying this program to do the same thing in different ways and each time create more bugs.

Paul

I get very nervous when people with very little programming knowledge want to develop programs for "industrial equipment".

Most industrial equipment has the capability to cause death, injury or serious damage if something goes wrong. Consequently there needs to be insurance in place to cover those risks and all the equipment in use must be approved by the insurers.

The other concern is the question of who will maintain and repair the system if the amateur programmer is not available.

...R

Robin2:
I get very nervous when people with very little programming knowledge want to develop programs for "industrial equipment".

Most industrial equipment has the capability to cause death, injury or serious damage if something goes wrong. Consequently there needs to be insurance in place to cover those risks and all the equipment in use must be approved by the insurers.

The other concern is the question of who will maintain and repair the system if the amateur programmer is not available.

...R

Robin, you worry too much! It's the OPs equipment.

Insurance risk is based on industry type experience, not on equipment in a plant. That would drive an underwrite mad. I have had insurance on my plant for 18 years and have never had a visit from any insurance person.

What the OP does need to do, if he/she intends to continue with the project, is to thoroughly document what he is doing and how he is doing it. And not just program files on a computer disk. We so easily forget just what we did and why we did it.

Paul

I wouldn't / will not send out until i am 100% sure that it works properly. The main reason i'm doing this is because the company will not pay for a REM Device that comes with the equipment we use. I've had fun so far learning this stuff and I was just trying to get some suggestions. I'm the main person in the company that operates this equipment and I'm tired of getting covered in crude just rolling up my remote cords lol. Thanks for replies though.

Paul_KD7HB:
I have had insurance on my plant for 18 years and have never had a visit from any insurance person

I guess, then, you have never had to make a claim - presumably because you are a careful person.

If someone does make a claim and the insurers find a home-built home-programmed Arduino in charge of safety critical equipment I suspect the insurers will repudiate the claim. And if someone was injured or killed the person in charge could be charged with criminal negligence.

Far too many people sail through life assuming that what the insurers don't know won't bother them. The fine print of most insurance policies requires the policyholder to inform the insurers of everything relevant to the risk being insured. And what the insurers consider relevant is probably much wider than what the policyholder might imagine.

The wise thing for the OP to do is write and tell the insurers what he plans to do and wait until he receives their written agreement before continuing.

...R

No, never had to do a claim lol. I don't take too many risk, doesnt pay off. So what I was thinking last night after posting is how am I able to write all the I/O's. I still don't understand how to send anything other than single letters or numbers. My equipment is all momentary switches. All the relays do is send the signal to directional valve to move the hydraulics. Since the equipment has three main boxes now i thought about taking advantage of the megas serial ports. That would be three master HC-05 and three slave HC-05 or 06 three separate binds.

xpxmxcooter:
No, never had to do a claim lol. I don't take too many risk, doesnt pay off. So what I was thinking last night after posting is how am I able to write all the I/O's. I still don't understand how to send anything other than single letters or numbers. My equipment is all momentary switches. All the relays do is send the signal to directional valve to move the hydraulics. Since the equipment has three main boxes now i thought about taking advantage of the megas serial ports. That would be three master HC-05 and three slave HC-05 or 06 three separate binds.

Perhaps you should practice more with the Arduino basics.

Paul

Lorris007:
I'm working as a teacher and we provide lessons for kids. It is very interesting for them and very useful for their beggining in IT.

Teaching kids about Arduinos is great but I have no idea how this is relevant to industrial equipment.

...R